Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best Open World Games?

There are a lot to choose from.  For PS3 gen I would say take a look at Assassins Creed or Far Cry games, all have pretty cool open worlds.  On current gen games like Witcher 3, AC Origins, Horizon ZD, and Dying Light stand out as cool open worlds, and all provide very different play experiences. There is also always GTA games and Saints row games if you prefer that style.

Hmm, there are a few low budget fantasy open-world RPGs on PS3 like Arcania, Two Worlds 2 and Risen 2/3. They're no where near as polished as Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim (which probably says a lot!) but I had a lot of fun with them, personally. I do like janky RPGs, though, so factor that in to the equation! Another great option is the Dark Souls/Demon's Souls games which are pseudo open-world fantasy action-RPGs. 

Skyrim is a classic and still holds up after 10+ years. You also have the likes of GTA V, RDR2, Just Cause 3,4, and more. To be honest though, I'm starting to tire of the many open world games coming out. Just becomes repetitive to me. 

I'm going to go with the yakuza games, the world to explore may be small and some woulden't call it open world perse but the world that is there is jam packed with minigames and side missions that are interesting and fun to do, something ubisoft could learn a thing or two from. 

On 9/19/2018 at 11:26 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I love Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, but I want to broaden my horizons. Anyone have any open world games to suggest? Preferably on PS3, but other platforms as well.

If you want ps3 open world games i'd suggest :

Yakuza 3,4 and 5 

Infamous 1 and 2 -> great ps3 exclusives from insomniac kind of a superhero game where you get powers based on being good and bad.

The saboteur -> Nobody really talks about this game anymore, but i really liked this one kind of ac during world war 2, you blow up a lot of stuff.

also why not try out kingdoms of amalur and i'll name it for the hell off it Driver : san francisco.

and how could i forget Dragon's dogma -> capcom's answer to skyrim, often forgotten but still well worth checking out.

Skyrim, Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Red Dead series, GTA 4 and 5, Fallout 3 and NV, Zelda: BotW

The one that I feel isn't praised enough for how wonderful it is would be Horizon: Zero Dawn. That was a sleeper hit in my books. I'd heard a few vague good things but nothing that prepared me for how much I enjoyed it

6 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm going to go with the yakuza games, the world to explore may be small and some woulden't call it open world perse but the world that is there is jam packed with minigames and side missions that are interesting and fun to do, something ubisoft could learn a thing or two from. 

If you want ps3 open world games i'd suggest :

Yakuza 3,4 and 5 

Infamous 1 and 2 -> great ps3 exclusives from insomniac kind of a superhero game where you get powers based on being good and bad.

The saboteur -> Nobody really talks about this game anymore, but i really liked this one kind of ac during world war 2, you blow up a lot of stuff.

also why not try out kingdoms of amalur and i'll name it for the hell off it Driver : san francisco.

and how could i forget Dragon's dogma -> capcom's answer to skyrim, often forgotten but still well worth checking out.

I did not know Infamous games were open world!

6 hours ago, Empire said:

Skyrim, Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Red Dead series, GTA 4 and 5, Fallout 3 and NV, Zelda: BotW

The one that I feel isn't praised enough for how wonderful it is would be Horizon: Zero Dawn. That was a sleeper hit in my books. I'd heard a few vague good things but nothing that prepared me for how much I enjoyed it

What are the things you love about Horizon: Zero Dawn?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Valhalla/Origins is the king of open worlds if you are into exploring, scenery, and culture. Witcher 3 is king if you like story and lore. Ghost of Tsushima is king of well balanced open world. Dying Light is king of the apocalypse. Horizon Zero Dawn is king of uniqueness. I can't think of this kind of greatness in open worlds for ps3. 

I'd also add Watch Dogs 2. It's got a pretty decently sized world, and I think it takes place in San Francisco, so it's more realistic as well. I think the first watchdogs took place in Chicago, but I couldn't get into the first one unfortunately. 

I'm kinda wondering how many people even bother to complete everithing or let alone bother with the sidecontent in a open world game.

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'd also add Watch Dogs 2. It's got a pretty decently sized world, and I think it takes place in San Francisco, so it's more realistic as well. I think the first watchdogs took place in Chicago, but I couldn't get into the first one unfortunately. 

I've beaten the first watch dogs but I gave up on watch dogs 2 after an hour orso, it diden't click with me from the start, i'm usually the guns blazing type of dude, maybe i need to give it another change as i just picked up watch dogs legion since it was marked down to 19.99 in a local store i tought why not.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:26 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I love Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, but I want to broaden my horizons. Anyone have any open world games to suggest? Preferably on PS3, but other platforms as well.

I'm definitely going to be picking Red Dead Redemption 2 and The Last of Us Part II together with Ghost of Tsushima. 

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm kinda wondering how many people even bother to complete everithing or let alone bother with the sidecontent in a open world game.

I've beaten the first watch dogs but I gave up on watch dogs 2 after an hour orso, it diden't click with me from the start, i'm usually the guns blazing type of dude, maybe i need to give it another change as i just picked up watch dogs legion since it was marked down to 19.99 in a local store i tought why not.

I couldn't get into the first Watch Dogs, but WD2 was where it was at for me. I think it was in combination of the great gameplay, the parkour style movement and the hacking abilities that made it for me. I like slow paced when it comes to games like this. But I can understand if you want a more fast paced, guns blazing style.