Register Now
DylanC

Best RPGs of all-time?

Been looking for a decent RPG to pick up, so wanted to ask everyone: What're the best RPGs you've had the pleasure of playing? I'd put Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout: New Vegas, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls up there on my list. How about you guys? 

Edited by DylanC

7 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Seems you're western based for your RPGs, if you like JRPGs, then I highly recommend Persona series and Tales of series.

Good observation, though, I should've mentioned that I love JRPGs, too. Admittedly, I haven't had as much experience with them as I'd like (I really, really want to play Chrono Trigger on the Switch! *fingers crossed it comes to Switch*).

JRPG-wise, I love Ni No Kuni, Demon Gaze, Persona 4, Suikoden 2 (not played 1 yet) and Dungeon Travelers 2. 

17 hours ago, Keranov said:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a very good role playing game. I never have played it but I might get it in the Steam Winter sale. People have very good reviews on it

I've got The Witcher 3 on PS4 and it's a very good RPG, for sure. I've played about 50-60 hours of it (had a few long breaks away from it yet have gone back to it several times) but ironically I just feel like it hasn't properly clicked with me. There's something about the combat that feels a wee bit "button mashy" and has a latent, delayed feel - just doesn't gel well for me. Also, the menus are not very clear as to what piece of equipment is the best/or what it does differently to other pieces of equipment. It probably sounds a bit nitpicky - I do really like the game - though I wouldn't put it in my top 10 RPGs, personally. 

2 hours ago, Joant73 said:

I enjoyed Ys 8 for a JRPG.  Also, you may enjoy the Dragon Age games based on those others you mentioned. 

I really enjoyed Ys Origin - I reviewed it, in fact. Not played the newer ones, though. The original Dragon Age is great stuff, but wasn't so fussed on DA 2 and Inquisition. Thanks for commenting!

8 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I've played quite good number of them, especially the Sega soccer game as a child, star wars, dark souls,winning eleven etc. Are few I could remember from the luxuries I've played. 

I still have my SEGA console till date. When I checked out its functionality last 2 years, it's still good trying The Punisher game I had years ago. 

On 9/25/2018 at 7:30 PM, DylanC said:

Been looking for a decent RPG to pick up, so wanted to ask everyone: What're the best RPGs you've had the pleasure of playing? I'd put Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout: New Vegas, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls up there on my list. How about you guys? 

I'm going to be sticking with choosing Final Fantasy games series as my all time best when it comes to RPG games.