Register Now
DylanC

Sony *finally* enables cross play in Fortnite!

9 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

It was always a matter of when not if. Though I wonder what really made them cave to the demands of a free to play game?

I'm guessing the forthcoming Season 6 of Fortnite and the vocal fanbase had something to do it. Also, money. 

1 hour ago, Demon_skeith said:

What money though? Fornite is free isn't it?

You're absolutely right, good point, but there's a large proportion of the player base who invest in the micro transactions and cosmetic stuff. I'm pretty sure the dev/hardware holders make a lot of money in the back-end from that side of things. With the new Season 6 Fortnite content now out, more people will be buying PS4s for the foreseeable future, essentially. It's good branding for Sony - and good business sense all round as everyone's happy.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It was a purely financial reason why Sony gave in to allowing cross-playing on Fornite. They realized it would have done their brand harm not to allow it.

I doubt that was the case for a number of factors. A lot of people have speculated that Sony wasn't really planning on adding Cross Play until the next console.

2 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I doubt that was the case for a number of factors. A lot of people have speculated that Sony wasn't really planning on adding Cross Play until the next console.

If they weren't planning on adding Cross Play until the next generation as you say, then why did they cave-in to Fortnite? The popularity and appeal of Fortnite why they gave in. They are pretty aware that a good portion of Sony's fanbase and their friends play Fortnite. By not allowing cross-play, some Sony console owners would have opted to sell their consoles to buy other consoles that support cross-play. That also goes for people thinking of buying a Playstation - they'd instead grab another console that supports cross-play. It would have and probably was already costing them losses in revenue so they decided to allow cross-play for Fortnite.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

If they weren't planning on adding Cross Play until the next generation as you say, then why did they cave-in to Fortnite? The popularity and appeal of Fortnite why they gave in. They are pretty aware that a good portion of Sony's fanbase and their friends play Fortnite. By not allowing cross-play, some Sony console owners would have opted to sell their consoles to buy other consoles that support cross-play. That also goes for people thinking of buying a Playstation - they'd instead grab another console that supports cross-play. It would have and probably was already costing them losses in revenue so they decided to allow cross-play for Fortnite.

Not because of the popularity of the game.

Because of the backlash.

19 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

Not because of the popularity of the game.

Because of the backlash.

What do think brought about the backlash in the first place? The popularity of Fortnite. Let me ask you a question? Do you honestly think Sony would care if Fortnite wasn't an extremely popular game? Would they even consider it? 

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

What do think brought about the backlash in the first place? The popularity of Fortnite. Let me ask you a question? Do you honestly think Sony would care if Fortnite wasn't an extremely popular game? Would they even consider it? 

Well, you should probably look at the many times Sony has caved in. Especially with games like Rocket League whcih are less popular than Fortnite.