Register Now
DylanC

Best opening to a game?

I really enjoyed Saints Row IV. I know it's a cheesy game, but I sure enjoyed the opening.

You are on your way to a covert operation to defeat a terrorist cell, and as they plan a sneak attack, you run up and kill a bunch of people.

After you work through the compound, you fight a boss and right before you defeat him, he launches a nuke. You run and jump on it, and Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" starts playing. You climb up a nuke to this music slowly disarming it.

Once it's set to blow up in mid air, you jump off and freefall for a bit, landing right in the president's chair in the oval office.

The best opening to a video game I've ever seen is Skyrim...(I'm totally being sarcastic. It's just that I've seen this opening so many times, I can actually repeat it line for line). It's hilarious how Alduin saved the person that'd end up defeating him - talk about the irony.

Hitman Contracts had a pretty weird beginning. They pretty much start you off in a psych ward where there are bodies of hitman that look exactly like you. They were the other clones of Agent 47. Anyway, this mission is pretty dope for the first mission, as they put you right into the fray, because after you go through the area a bit, you notice there is a swat team on site and are after you. It's a fun mission to start a game off, that's for sure. 

Test Drive Unlimited's opening sets the tone of the game very well. It's not just a racing game, it's an immersive lifestyle simulator. When you play it you leave the real world behind and become someone else, and choosing who you become is part of the intro.

Mass Effect's opening might not be the most original, but I always said originality is overrated. This opening is effective and in no small part due to the musical score. Even the  text exposition is lifted to another level by the music. And then the hopeful tunes set the stage for something grand while you see Shepard purposefully making her/his way to the bridge. It's goosebumps every time.

On 10/10/2018 at 5:17 PM, DylanC said:

Doom 2016 definitely has a kick ass opening. No messing around. As you said, it's straight to the point. Good choice!

Seriously - I was actually looking up to Doom Eternal having or following the same set up, although it wasn't that much disappointing either.