Register Now
DylanC

Will you be comfortable paying £60/$80 for a game next gen?

38 minutes ago, Aimee Hart said:

Unless it's a game I really, REALLY, 'oh my god I must HAVE IT' want, then definitely not. I'm poor and I can't afford to buy so many games.

Yep, I'm with you. I'm constantly broke so prices going up for games will definitely affect how I buy my games going forward. Will probably *have* to wait for those sales, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Keranov said:

There is no way for me to be able to purchase games at $80 price mark. That's pure greediness.

Man, I can totally relate, but the truth is game budgets are ballooning out of control and video games haven’t risen in price in-line with general inflation for a long time. It’s more of a matter of when not if, sadly.

12 hours ago, DylanC said:

Man, I can totally relate, but the truth is game budgets are ballooning out of control and video games haven’t risen in price in-line with general inflation for a long time. It’s more of a matter of when not if, sadly.

Thank god for discount stores lol

It honestly wouldn't bother me too much. It's only another 20 bucks, and I pay more than that sometimes already if I want a collectors edition, the season pass or something like that.  And as Dylan pointed out its likely an inevitability due to stagnant game costs for years while the level of effort to make them is only increasing.  If it means better, next tier games I am happy to pay for it.    

It would really depend on the game for me, as it does right now as well. But for most game I will do the same; Wait until the price drops, here we got a store that drops the price of most games for 5€ (~7$) after the game's out for a week or two.

For me actually it's not the issue supporting the people behind it and I don't think they're greedy or anything, I mean, it's a lot of work and money they put into games. It's more just the issue that I'm not sure if I will play the game enough so it makes up for the price. And I kinda count with 1 hour playtime = 1€, so if I play a Switch game for 60 hours it's worth the price for me. It's weird, I know, but yeah.

The thing is most major publishers are still interested in making a profit, so they not only have to recoup the costs of making the game but also earning some money on it.

I think for my case it won't really affect me much. I might just wait a while, get it on sale.

Edited by Alyxx

I don't see a $20 jump happening since that would be an awfully dramatic increase, but I could definitely see a $10 jump. 

I would be totally okay with this if they in turn reduce the amount of "season pass" type content and release fuller games from the start. But I don't trust the industry to be honest enough to make that change. Publishers are greedy and will want to milk each release for everything they're worth. So if they're not going to change, I see no reason to pay more for the same stuff. Especially as graphics are plateauing and the differences in generations are becoming more and more marginal.