Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you actually read the in-game texts in games?

Do you read in-game texts which contribute to world-building in a game? What I mean is like the books in Skyrim, the codex entries in Dragon Age, etc.

I have to admit I find the Skyrim texts dry and confusing for the most part, and the font is hard on my eyes, so I only read the ones which are on specific topics of interest. I find the codex entries in Dragon Age a bit more readable, and have read a lot more of them as a result. I do love the ways that these types of texts enhance context in a game. Occasionally a book in Skyrim has put an entirely new perspective on an in-game situation for me.

What about you?

I occasionally read the texts in Skyrim depending on their title. There was a book of riddles, for example, that I had to check out. Sometimes they’re interesting. Depends what mood I’m in, but the for the most part, I skip over ‘em to save time. 

Depends how much I am into the lore of the world.  Skyrim for example I actually read most things as I got so into that world and put so many hours in it just felt worth it.  Horizon ZD was another game where I read pretty much everything because I loved the story and wanted as much detail as possible.  Other games not so much,  I will usually skim to get the jist and move on.

Edited by Joant73

Is it really a game of Skyrim if you're not reading about the Lusty Argonian Maid? But in all seriousness, I find Skyrim's texts super boring at times so I never bother with them. Dragon Age and Mass Effect I do, because I'm more invested in their worlds. Assassins Creed too because I find history, even if its really inaccurate at times, rather interesting.