Register Now
StaceyPowers

Sex in video games

How do you feel about sex in video games?

I'm not a prude by any stretch, and I have absolutely nothing against it in a moral sense. I also have zero issues with video game nudity.

But video game sex tends to be mega-awkward, lol, especially when someone walks into the room right in the middle of a cheesy "love" scene. I often feel relieved when I'm playing games that decided to leave out sex altogether, just so I don't have to sit through the awkward, fumbling CG characters trying to get their digital groove on.

Where do you weigh in on the issue?

I'm with you. Sex in video games is fine as long as it serves the story. Sex just for the sake of it often comes off as awkward. I'm not by all means against nudity as long as it feels natural and part of the universe/story, like in the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game.

I agree with you both. It all depends on the context of the sex scene. I've played some pretty raunchy JRPGs in my time (Conception 2, Dungeon Travelers 2, Criminal Girls 2 all spring to mind) but sex is sort've handled in a very cheesy, cartoonish way. I think Heavy Rain was one of the first games with a sex scene akin to a movie, but it was choice-based and sort've fit the narrative

Edited by DylanC

Sex in video games is fine, as long as it isn't just thrown in there to make us feel extra squirmish for no reason whatsoever. Some games handle it really well like The Witcher 3, but sometimes its just so unbearable I've just GOTTA skip the scenes.

Sex can be so much more than just straight up naughty business too. It can be part of the atmosphere, part of the story, it can be hinted at and not displayed completely. There are lots of tasteful ways to do erotic scenes in games and I feel games like Mass Effect did this great.

Yea it definitely has to be handled well.  I usually like it in RPGs when it is centered around romances (like in Bioware games or Witcher) because it helps with the immersion and getting into your character.  Also in the original God of War games the sex games were usually pretty funny and I think it fit that game.  I do agree that parents or roommates seem to have a great sense of timing with walking in at just the wrong moment and making it more awkward. 

I agree with @DylanC  too. Generally speaking, sex is a natural part of human nature and aslong as the sexual part of the video games goes with the storyline, there's nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day, it's not another "real" human being so harm should come to anyone. It's a virtual world which no one exists in. 

Sex in video games is not something I am against but at the same time it's each to their own. I feel that if the game has the right age rating for what is in the game and takes into account the sex scenes and there is a clear visible warning on the game case itself or even on the game that there are scenes of a sexual nature then I don't see anything wrong with it. 

I guess the only time it would become a huge problem is if someone to walk in on that particular scene and you having to explain it to that person with them laughing and making a joke. 

On 10/14/2018 at 3:54 PM, StaceyPowers said:

How do you feel about sex in video games?

I'm not a prude by any stretch, and I have absolutely nothing against it in a moral sense. I also have zero issues with video game nudity.

But video game sex tends to be mega-awkward, lol, especially when someone walks into the room right in the middle of a cheesy "love" scene. I often feel relieved when I'm playing games that decided to leave out sex altogether, just so I don't have to sit through the awkward, fumbling CG characters trying to get their digital groove on.

Where do you weigh in on the issue?

On 10/15/2018 at 12:25 AM, Alyxx said:

I'm with you. Sex in video games is fine as long as it serves the story. Sex just for the sake of it often comes off as awkward. I'm not by all means against nudity as long as it feels natural and part of the universe/story, like in the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:03 AM, DylanC said:

I agree with you both. It all depends on the context of the sex scene. I've played some pretty raunchy JRPGs in my time (Conception 2, Dungeon Travelers 2, Criminal Girls 2 all spring to mind) but sex is sort've handled in a very cheesy, cartoonish way. I think Heavy Rain was one of the first games with a sex scene akin to a movie, but it was choice-based and sort've fit the narrative

Here's where I stand here. A  lot of games try to add a sex scene to supposedly add to the narrative. While in a lot of occasions the sex is supposed to work and is perfectly written (I'm looking at you Heavy Rain). We literally see it come crashing into the ground because of the fact that the 3D models either don't know where the other character is supposed to be or they reach the Uncanny Valley (explained below).

So yeah, there's a reason why these scenes are not welcome in my book. The main one is, these idiots at gaming companies need to learn how to actually 3D before even thinking about adding sex scenes.

14 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

We literally see it come crashing into the ground because of the fact that the 3D models either don't know where the other character is supposed to be or they reach the Uncanny Valley (explained below).

I think you nailed it (pun not intended). That is indeed probably why they are so awkward.