Register Now

6 minutes ago, m76 said:

Why does BLM support riots and looting? It only helps perpetuate racism, not ending it.

That's people hiding behind a noble cause to excuse that behaviour. Happens every time anyone protests anything. BLM is not about that and the movement certainly doesn't endorse it.

3 hours ago, m76 said:

Why does BLM support riots and looting? It only helps perpetuate racism, not ending it.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

BLM is about equality, not criminal violence.

THAT

Listen @m76, anyone who has told or in some way tried to convince you of that is either racist, not very smart or most likely both.  It's just an excuse to sweep this problem, and it is a legitimate international problem, under the rug and go back to a state of blissfull ignorance.  Now like @Shagger pointed out, a small number of people are using the protests as a window to break the law and spread anarchy but that is NOT what BLM is about.

Now I'm not racist in any way but I do admit like so many until recently I let myself be blinded to these issues without even realising I was doing it.  But I see it now and we ALL need to wake up.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 8/21/2020 at 1:18 AM, Crazycrab said:

THAT

Listen @m76, anyone who has told or in some way tried to convince you of that is either racist, not very smart or most likely both.  It's just an excuse to sweep this problem, and it is a legitimate international problem, under the rug and go back to a state of blissfull ignorance.  Now like @Shagger pointed out, a small number of people are using the protests as a window to break the law and spread anarchy but that is NOT what BLM is about.

Now I'm not racist in any way but I do admit like so many until recently I let myself be blinded to these issues without even realising I was doing it.  But I see it now and we ALL need to wake up.

You are not very convincing in your case when you attack the character of people who question BLM instead of trying to argue against them. If BLM does not support criminal behaviour, then why don't they denounce the looters/rioters? Instead of posting their bails?  Why does BLM only speak out when it can blame a white scapegoat? Seems like they want to grow racial tensions, because they thrive on it. As long as they perpetuate the myth that every problem of the black communities are caused by white people, they prevent the solving of many of the actual problems. So they don't just prolong racism, they also do a disservice to the communities they are supposedly looking out for.

There is a need for an organization what BLM claims to do. But BLM doesn't do as BLM says.  If anything BLM is sweeping the actual problems under the rug, by blaming everything on racism.  While at the same time devalue the term "racism" by labelling everything as racist. If everything is racist then actual racism gets a free pass.

Yes actual racism still exists but it is not systemic as they claim and certainly is not everywhere.The system is not rigged, and if it is somewhere, all they need to do is point it out. And I'm sure the offending racist legislation would be changed.

And don't get me started about acab and defund the police. That's pure anarchist insanity. And many of the very people who posted defund the police on twitter are now fleeing cities that actually want to go through with it, because they no longer feel safe there. It is the height of hypocrisy. The police is necessary, and while some cops are bastards, defunding the police is not solving anything. Each person must be judged as an individual, and not by their group affiliations. Be that race, or being the part of a police force.

not all police are bastards

not all black people are victims

not all white people are racists

Judge the individual, not their skin color, that's the first rule of not being a racist. Which BLM has already failed, by putting all black people into the victim basket.

It's actually insulting and demeaning to individuals when they are treated like that. It doesn't matter what you do, or achieve, you are a victim.

The impoverished black communities need solutions, not scapegoats.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:45 AM, m76 said:

You are not very convincing in your case when you attack the character of people who question BLM instead of trying to argue against them. If BLM does not support criminal behaviour, then why don't they denounce the looters/rioters? Instead of posting their bails?  Why does BLM only speak out when it can blame a white scapegoat? Seems like they want to grow racial tensions, because they thrive on it. As long as they perpetuate the myth that every problem of the black communities are caused by white people, they prevent the solving of many of the actual problems. So they don't just prolong racism, they also do a disservice to the communities they are supposedly looking out for.

There is a need for an organization what BLM claims to do. But BLM doesn't do as BLM says.  If anything BLM is sweeping the actual problems under the rug, by blaming everything on racism.  While at the same time devalue the term "racism" by labelling everything as racist. If everything is racist then actual racism gets a free pass.

Yes actual racism still exists but it is not systemic as they claim and certainly is not everywhere.The system is not rigged, and if it is somewhere, all they need to do is point it out. And I'm sure the offending racist legislation would be changed.

And don't get me started about acab and defund the police. That's pure anarchist insanity. And many of the very people who posted defund the police on twitter are now fleeing cities that actually want to go through with it, because they no longer feel safe there. It is the height of hypocrisy. The police is necessary, and while some cops are bastards, defunding the police is not solving anything. Each person must be judged as an individual, and not by their group affiliations. Be that race, or being the part of a police force.

not all police are bastards

not all black people are victims

not all white people are racists

Judge the individual, not their skin color, that's the first rule of not being a racist. Which BLM has already failed, by putting all black people into the victim basket.

It's actually insulting and demeaning to individuals when they are treated like that. It doesn't matter what you do, or achieve, you are a victim.

The impoverished black communities need solutions, not scapegoats.

A little disclaimer. Everything I'm about to say I say as my own individual person, not as a mod nor a representative of VGR in any way. And yourself @m76as well as anyone can respond freely without fear of reprisal.

What you are saying are the words of someone who clearly has not made any effort to understand or research the message BLM is trying to put out, and that is also, with all due respect, kinda selfish. You're just happy to live in your little bubble where everything is fine. In your white world, you don't get guns drawn of you for just walking down the street. You don't have the police called on you in the hope they shoot you for being black. You don't get killed by police officers crushing your neck. You don't get tear-gassed for protesting peacefully. You don't get called a n****r or a monkey. You don't get turned away from job's because of the colour of your skin. None of this happens to you, so in your head it doesn't really happen at all. No wait, sorry, I'm being unfair;

Yes actual racism still exists but it is not systemic as they claim and certainly is not everywhere.

Yes, racism exists, you said so yourself, so why are you pissing on those fighting it instead of supporting them? Is it because you believe the "small" amount of it you think happens is acceptable? And you're wrong, it is as bad as they say because it's not a minority doing it, it's become engrained in society. That's why, as @Crazycrabpointed out, it's the responsibility of all of us to change, to be better, fight for equality and justice even if one has never done anything discriminatory or racist in any way. Otherwise, we're choosing to live in the same bubble you are, and that would make us part of the problem. BLM are not hiding problems under the rug, that's what people like you do because you don't want to believe these things are true. Just because you don't like what's what to be found under that rug, doesn't make it fault of those supporting BLM. I don't want to believe it either, but as a white man I refuse to deny it just for my convenience. It was Edmund Burke who said “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”. Then there's people like you, spewing this nonsense that the people in this fight to make clear how bad racial injustice really is are the bad guys. How dare you.

How dare you accuse the people who suffer through racial discrimination every day as "scapegoating". Victims of racial discrimination don't need you so-called "scapegoat" because they are the victims of racial discrimination. How dare only listen to one side and deliberately avoid the other to then be arrogant enough to think you know it all. How dare just choose to believe what's convent for you. How dare you only come out of your bubble to call those seeking truth and justice as liars just because you're not a victim and can't know what it's like.

Nothing of what I say here is against you. Your presence in this community is very much appreciated and valued, but for your own sake you have got to wake up and see what's really going on in the world.

Edited by Shagger

Your comments about scapegoating IS scapegoating. You’re refusing  to acknowledge the actual issues, and blame it all on someone else. The way you’re acting is an example of racism. You’re talking as if the ones involved in the riots are the only ones that exist, and/or are representatives of every single black person everywhere. That’s close minded racist bullshit.

Listen, really listen, to what is said in the following video. Hopefully it will help open your mind a bit.

25 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

How, exactly, are you going to ban opinions and individual thoughts? Racism is something that needs to end, but it's not in any way to ban opinions and thoughts, no matter how repugnant they are.

True. You can't defeat evil with evil. 

Cultural psychology needs to be taught in schools at every grade level. I took the class in college and learned a great deal from it. Racism is embedded in all sorts of things. Minorities are demonized in commercials, shows, movies, cartoons, news, and books. People are constantly exposed to these things and even more so in different communities. I watched many videos from that class that showed many examples. It was a long time ago so I can't recall what they are now. Very interesting subject and much needed in schools. 

Being a white woman, I grew up with "white privilege" so I can't really relate to a lot of things. Minorities (and I don't like using that word) face things that the white population will either never understand or never experience. For the most part. I'm the part of the population that is usually termed "white trash" because I grew up bottom of the barrel poor. I've experienced a few things that minorities have, but not everything. I don't know how it feels to be called a nigger because I'm not black. I don't know what it feels like to be called a wetback because I'm not Hispanic. I don't know what it feels like to be called a heeb because I'm not Jewish. I do know what it feels like to be called a cracker. I don't like it.

The sad thing we have to realize is that racism will never end. It is part of the human psyche. Some can be cured of it. Some never feel it. Some support it 100%.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've given a bit of insight to my upbringing. Well being taught racism from the moment I was born was a large part of it. Specifically towards black people. You all know the words that were common. Until a couple months ago, those words came out of my mouth more casually than "Hello" comes out of yours. I'm not even close to exaggerating. I learned it for 18 years. I unsuccessfully fought it for the next 20. Then something happened.

I collect skulls. This is relevant. I have an ad on Craigslist looking for skulls to buy or trade for. I've gotten a few good ones that way. Well one day I got a reply to that ad. A woman, I'll call her Lauren (not her real name) was just saying that she thought it was neat that I collect, and that she has always liked skulls too. We got to talking back and forth a lot. Gossip mostly.

She is mixed race. Her father is white and her mother is black. I don't know how she did it, but Lauren broke that racism. I can only guess that the Great Goddess sent her for that very purpose. Within a couple weeks of talking to her through text, I was over it. I even put Black Lives Matter on the back of my car, and ordered a few car window flags for the movement. Previously I would have added the word "don't" to that. My girl is still shocked, and so am I. Neither of us can figure out how she did it, but we're both over the moon that someone was finally able to pull my head out of my ass and end it.

We're still great friends. We hit it off almost instantly. We text daily. I'm even going to her place for xmas.

Lauren was a savior that brought me a chance at redemption. She ended the hate one racist felt. I just wish every racist could meet their own Lauren. I was lucky. Not all are.

Edited by The Blackangel

I've decided to re-ignite this thread because of something I've just seen that is truly disgusting and far closer to home than I would like.  On Sunday, England faced Italy in the final of the FIFA European Nations Football Championship 2021 (Euro 2021). For those who don't know, The Euro tournament is held every four years  in between World Cup years where Nations present teams picked form professional players from thier own country to compete in a tournament. It's a huge deal, comparable to the World Cup itself. Normally I wouldn't be that interested, but my better half is English, so we watched the game. It was 1-1 at end of the 90 minute match, bringing the match into extra time (same thing as overtime, really), but the match remained at 1-1. In this situation, the game then comes down to a penalty shootout. Each time picks 5 player to step up and fire a shot at goal against the opponent team's chosen goal keeper. This is nerve-racking enough in any game, but the amount of pressure involved when it's the final of a major tournament like this is difficult to comprehend. England ultimately lost as they missed three of thier penalties. The three players who missed just so happened to be black. So this ware things get horrid, but sadly predictable...

Just pointing it out, and I could be mistaken, but I saw what I think was all of England's players take a knee at the start of the match. 

Edited by Shagger

No athlete or anyone else should ever have to go through that crap. It's a team effort, but people always want to look for a scapegoat, but to be blatantly racist about it is just another level of hate. Those same people would praise and cheer if he made the goals, but attack his skin color when he doesn't. These things aren't gonna change and will only continue to get worse because jerks at the top like Boris Johnson condones that behavior. People simply need to be punished for being racist. I say start fining them for racist attacks. Once they get punished at the pockets, then they will start to listen. We get fined for things for far less than racism. We can't depend on people to just change their rhetoric. We can't depend on those at the top to change their rhetoric. We have laws against hate crimes; it's time to treat racist rhetoric as a threat because it ultimately is. This shit is gonna leave psychological scars on those young athletes. Racists can't be allowed to abuse people in that way. It IS abuse.