Register Now

Okay, so I'm starting a thread where I can post articles about the horrible racism, xenophobia and bigotry that exists in our community and we can have a frank discussion about it.

Any nationalists, supremacists, bigots on the forum (which, I doubt there are - and hope there is none) this is a zone where you too can express what a crappy human you are so we all know. 🙂

Starting with, Soccer while Black.

Lately there has been a bit of a trend of these news stories. People calling the police on Black people simply for seemingly doing nothing wrong. At all.
Like, the guy in this article was simply being a good Dad, and that's it.

This woman should be ashamed, and hopefully she can reform as a human..

‘Golfcart Gail’ calls cops on dad at his kid’s soccer game

A WHITE woman called the cops on a black father at his child’s soccer game — claiming he yelled at the referee, when he was actually just cheering on his son, according to local reports.

Two other women who were at the teen match in Ponte Vedra, Florida, over the weekend took videos and posted about the incident on Facebook — uploading images of the field marshal who called the police, showing her sitting in a blue golfcart with a phone to her ear and nicknaming her “Golfcart Gail.”

“A parent at my son’s soccer game had the police called on him for cheering for his son during the game,” posted Ginger Galore Williams, with the header “Soccer While Black.”

Source: https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/golfcart-gail-calls-cops-on-dad-at-his-kids-soccer-game/news-story/44c4f93b2227664eff099d3b305a460d

10 hours ago, DylanC said:

Just read that article. Wow, absolutely shocking and disgusting behaviour from ‘Golfcart Gail’. Things like this make me incredibly sad.

Aye, gaming can be a very toxic/racist environment. Thanks for starting this thread! 🙂

Gaming or sporting? 😛 Or both. 🙂

Anyway, as a Muslim in an inter-racial marriage, with three bi-racial children I feel it's an important topic to cover. 🙂

As tough as it is, bigotry fact of life. It doesn't have to be, it shouldn't be. But it is.
So, best we get honest and talk about it. Confront it. 🙂

17 hours ago, MegaphoneStallone said:

Gaming or sporting? 😛 Or both. 🙂

Anyway, as a Muslim in an inter-racial marriage, with three bi-racial children I feel it's an important topic to cover. 🙂

As tough as it is, bigotry fact of life. It doesn't have to be, it shouldn't be. But it is.
So, best we get honest and talk about it. Confront it. 🙂

Aye, both, sadly. 😔 

Personally, I’m a British-filipino (my mum’s from the Philippines, my dad’s English and I was born in Wales). As most inter-racial folks have suffered in one way or another, racism has affected my life growing up in the UK. I wish I could say it was getting better, but I feel - like most things in life - it actually ebbs and flows.

Anyway, I try to be positive. Otherwise it just becomes another thing that gets me down about the world/global climate at the moment. 😔 

Edited by DylanC

5 hours ago, DylanC said:

Aye, both, sadly. 😔 

Personally, I’m a British-filipino (my mum’s from the Philippines, my dad’s English and I was born in Wales). As most inter-racial folks have suffered in one way or another, racism has affected my life growing up in the UK. I wish I could say it was getting better, but I feel - like most things in life - it actually ebbs and flows.

Anyway, I try to be positive. Otherwise it just becomes another thing that gets me down about the world/global climate at the moment. 😔 

Oh, yes! Positivity is the best way to deal with anything as deplorable as this - and it's great to hear more about your human experience. 🙂

I do worry for my kid's futures. Now and then I'm optimistic that, surely as time goes on things will get better. But you're right, it ebbs and flows. Sadly I feel like a rise in far/alt-right politics in the mainstream has really given the knuckle-dragging bigots the confidence they didn't have before to come out in droves. 😞

I wish I could edit my old post to tack this on the end and stop double posting, as this is meant to be a megathread.

So maybe @DC can deduct one of my posts for this! :)

Anyway. There is more.

A man on Ryanair yelled racist insults at a black woman. She was the one who had to change seats.

David Lawrence had just settled into Seat 22F on a Ryanair flight Thursday when he heard a commotion brewing on the other side of the plane.

A few rows behind him, a gray-haired man with dark-rimmed glasses was yelling at a black woman seated along the aisle.

Read on, and watch the awful video: https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2018/10/21/man-ryanair-yelled-racist-insults-black-woman-she-was-one-who-had-change-seats

Awful stuff to watch. Even awfuller that she had to change seats and he wasn't kicked off of the flight in general.

Annnnd here he is trying to tell everyone how 'not racist' he is...

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/airline-passenger-who-abused-77yearold-mother-insists-hes-not-a-racist/news-story/86262e9cb84303e40a705f63c7c02b6c

I'm inclined to agree with the Gayles. He said some pretty damn racist things for a non-racist.

21 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I just treat people like individuals regardless of their colour or faith. Easier that way.

Same here but I am aware that Racism will always exist and not everyone is accepting of people with drastically different physical features and culture. For instance, I will never see a bunch of KKK parading around and act like they deserve my respect.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Same here but I am aware that Racism will always exist and not everyone is accepting of people with drastically different physical features and culture. For instance, I will never see a bunch of KKK parading around and act like they deserve my respect.

Yeah I don't accept people who don't respect people lol

In my opinion, of course it's never ok to be racist, but then you can also be way too zealous with this. For example, the other day, my neighbor posted on a neighborhood watch Facebook page that a black man in a hoodie was in the alley. That by itself made everyone question why he said that. But to me, the more logical thing would be to assume that the guy in the hoodie was up to no good, not because he's black, but to give the guy who posted the benefit of the doubt. As it turned out, the black man in the hoodie was indeed trying to open up car doors, going around trying to see what he could steal. My neighbor made that ambiguous post in a hurry because he wanted to chase the potential thief, but later clarified why he had posted it. He ended up catching him, but because he hadn't actually gotten into anyone's car, the Chicago police ended up letting him go. I guess it would have been a lot of paperwork.

But boy were they tearing him a new one on Facebook. Here's a guy who I happen to know personally, who was just trying to do his part to watch out for his neighbors. A conservative white guy, if you're wondering. He's a good man who just doesn't want trouble in the neighborhood. Had it been a white guy trying to open up car doors, the response would have been exactly the same. I can honestly say that there's not a racist bone in my neighbor's body. But you should have seen the comments trying to make this hero out to be a bigot, a racist. It made me sick to my stomach.

Look, racism exists, we can't doubt that, and it's definitely on both sides of the political spectrum. I just think that we need to start giving people the benefit of the doubt a lot of times.