Register Now
Scottypops

Open world games and enemy variety problems

This has become an issue since Skyrim I think where the enemies are mostly draugr.

Why are devs prioritizing big open worlds and filling it with very little enemy variety? I get that it cost money to make new skeletons/assets but so does creating landmass and new areas. I think we're at the point where open worlds are just too big for their own good. There needs to be a balance between exploring areas and then actually being excited about the mystery of what new enemy type awaits you there. 

This could also apply to loot. Make sure the loot you get is meaningful but that's for another thread. I think by just having a good amount enemy variety, it could potentially spice up a mediocre combat system. *Cough*

Are devs too focused on making their games bigger for the sake of marketing and losing sight of what makes a game fun?

It's always been an issue in open world RPG's really. I remember the early Fallout games where you'd stumble upon either a group of radscorpions, radscorpions and plants or raiders. It didn't really have that much variety even back then. And don't get me started on Fallout 4 and how it overuses ghouls and raiders as enemies, lol

That’s one reason why I sometimes glean more enjoyment from lower budget RPGs like ELEX, Arcania, Risen, Bound By Flame, The Technomancer - even Dark Souls to a certain extent, though that’s a series that’s got a decent-sized budget - as these titles often have compelling bestiaries. Good enemy variety makes a big difference. It makes the world feel more authentically alive.

I still love Skyrim, though. It’s still got a solid roster of enemies. Wish there were more special hand-crafted mini-bosses here and there.

Edited by DylanC

Depends on the genre because open worlds that are not fantasy would be hard to make a variety of enemies. You could have different factions, but the only thing to really tell them apart is their uniform or weapons. I think what the real issue is that there aren't enough Fantasy open world games. If there were, then no doubt developers would have the initiative to compete and create a wider variety of enemies. Skyrim seems to be a stand alone of its generation with little to compete with. Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy 15 has a decent variety. 

As much as I do know that people do enjoy open world games and I can understand why developers would want to get games out there which are open world due to the popularity but having a low variety of enemies, it does make the games very underwhelming for sure. 

As you say, a lot of developers tend to rush out their games due to marketing and also due to money as well and because of that, they don't spend the time needed to bring things to the game that would make them better. 

Sometimes, when you're busy exploring the big worlds of open world games, you might find it a bit tough to come across different types of enemies. And this is defintely the case in Skyrim, as you mentioned. A lot of game developers will push their product through and don't spend the required time to make it better in the first place.

Open world games often struggle with enemy variety problems due to the sheer size and scope of the game. Developers must strike a balance between creating diverse enemies and ensuring they fit within the game's world and lore. This can be a challenging task, but when done well, it enhances the player's experience.