Register Now
StaceyPowers

Tips for beating performance anxiety?

I often have trouble in games where I’m not allowed to save at will. When I know I have to do everything right to make it through a prolonged fight, it is more likely I will screw it up and have to start all over. I mess up because of performance anxiety.

Anyone have tips for beating this? So far all I’ve come up with is to tell myself to be super patient, take it slow (when applicable), and pretend that it’s real life.

Don't be nervous and stay calm. When you get nervous you will most likely fail and under-perform. Well, it might not be true for everyone but this might help. Also, if the game allows it - you can pause it/open the options menu and leave the PC/console turned on and continue playing later from the same point.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:36 AM, Keranov said:

Don't be nervous and stay calm. When you get nervous you will most likely fail and under-perform. Well, it might not be true for everyone but this might help. Also, if the game allows it - you can pause it/open the options menu and leave the PC/console turned on and continue playing later from the same point.

Agreed.

The best plan is to realise it's just a game, has literally 0 real world consequences or stakes, and just get on with it.

That or turn it off for a while and rejig yourself. 🙂

Yea it can be tough but its best to try and not get in your own head about it (easier said than done I know).  As soon as you start thinking about messing up it makes it more likely that it will occur, you psych yourself out.  Sometimes I will pause before a big fight, take some deep breaths, remind yourself verbally (out loud) to be calm, take it slow, be patient, speak your general strategy out loud to yourself.  Then when you resume focus on the game and your gameplan, nothing else.

I have that issue too. To beat it, I started playing games on the easiest difficulty so that my anxiety doesn't peak. When I feel comfortable enough with the game I change settings a bit. Sure, this doesn't work with games like Dark Souls 😛 but we don't need that kind of anxiety in our lives anyway hahahaha

Here are some tips from me which I've got from personal experience. Best of luck!

• Practise, practise, and practise
  • Be prepared and don't be nervous. If your failing, learn how not to by watching YouTube Videos. 
  • Focus on the positives not the negatives

Taking your time, not being nervous and setting yourself a relaxing environment, may be play your favourite music as you are playing the game I find always works. If you are able to take a slight break before going into the difficult part of the game, go for it and come back a little more relaxed. It's all about focus and being calm. If you can keep yourself calm you should be good! 

Take some deep breaths and relax - Remind yourself it is just a game and you play it to enjoy it. Whatever happens in-game happens and you will just accept it. The anxiety comes in when you try to put too much pressure on yourself to win instead of just enjoying the game and playing to the best of your ability.

Just don't be afraid of losing. If you lose, you can still get back to where you were. There is nothing bad about losing a game or getting set back. It just gives you an opportunity to hone your skills more.

Edited by Alyxx

On 12/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, Alyxx said:

Just don't be afraid of losing. If you lose, you can still get back to where you were. There is nothing bad about losing a game or getting set back. It just gives you an opportunity to hone your skills more.

Unless it's like restarting at the beginning of a level when you were right at the end. Then you swear under your breath 🤣

I think the best way to beat the anxiety is be friendly. And never compete. That is one way to beat anxiety. And having support group and friends who are super supportive. That also helps out. The reason being good people cheer each other up. And if you are always in competitive mode, then it can give you pretty much worst anxiety possible. 

Just try and relax as best you can. Games are sometimes designed to defeat you at least once - whilst teaching you at the same time how to overcome it. That’s the beginnings of good game design. Try not to worry too much about it and remember to breathe and stay calm. You can do it!