Register Now
Obsessed With Gaming

How close are we to deep dive/full immersion VR

Will it happen within our lifetime (in 20-50 years)

By Elon Musk's Neuralink (Neural Lace 2039 ???), NerveGear, nanobots, mind uploading maybe.

And if we were to achieve this would anyone still want to live in the real world apart from people who are maintaning the system or certain religious groups (or at least take breaks frok full dive VR)

Or is this just hype and fantasy?

LOL. I wouldn't rely on Elon 'Rich Kid From The Emerald Mine' Musk to be the guy to bring anything actually substantial but okay - he's trying too hard to be Richard Branston.

Anyway. Hopefully it doesn't come in our lifetime. It sounds like a crappy existence. I guess I could, and probably will, just opt-out of such nonsense.

And on your point about maintaining the system - dude, think about it. THIS IS WHAT THOSE PEOPLE WILL WANT. You put people in another reality, you can data mine their minds and experiences, you can even possibly have some control or at the very least influence over them. People maintaining the system would not oppose this, this is the next logical step within the system.

I really don't know. I do hope so.

3 hours ago, MegaphoneStallone said:

LOL. I wouldn't rely on Elon 'Rich Kid From The Emerald Mine' Musk to be the guy to bring anything actually substantial but okay - he's trying too hard to be Richard Branston.

Anyway. Hopefully it doesn't come in our lifetime. It sounds like a crappy existence. I guess I could, and probably will, just opt-out of such nonsense.

And on your point about maintaining the system - dude, think about it. THIS IS WHAT THOSE PEOPLE WILL WANT. You put people in another reality, you can data mine their minds and experiences, you can even possibly have some control or at the very least influence over them. People maintaining the system would not oppose this, this is the next logical step within the system.

That is also a possibility. Just looking at how hooked people are on social media these days makes me wonder what the possibilities and consequences would be of full VR integration...

Edited by Alyxx

7 hours ago, Alyxx said:

IThat is also a possibility. Just looking at how hooked people are on social media these days makes me wonder what the possibilities and consequences would be of full VR integration...

Unless your every day Joey Sh*t-for-brains on the street starts to have a change of heart and take their humanity and privacy, and general basic rights seriously and see what companies they are allowing to infringe on them and how, I would say it's more an inevitability than possibility.

Let's go back to 2005. How rare was it for someone to give out the real name even on the public internet, because of trust and privacy issues? Like their full name...Maybe some did. Now attach that with marital status, city, workplace etc. all for public view. Very few - and the few that did had a lot of gain financially for it. Then Facebook comes along, utilises the network effect, people's guards lower significantly - they capitalise on and exploit this, and their users. Start retaining data, and selling it (essentially an electronic form of human trafficking.) People were okay with it, I mean, people have nothing to hide, right? (As if that's the point or something.)
Then comes Siri, Google, Alexa...Basically wire taps in our homes. Again, people have nothing to hide - who cares if it's technically always listening.

It's just infuriating to me.
People need to understand their rights a lot more, but it's a slippery slope and we're sliding down fast.

As for the consequences of VR intergration, chips in our bodies, 'the singularity' etc.
Watch this space. Corporations are going to keep trying to add to their wealth by pushing these boundaries more and more, it all depends on how much the general populous will let them get away with.
It's sad most people don't realise, if we as a collective say 'No. Not cool.' these companies will have to scale it back - their profitability will depend on it, and really that's all that matters to them.

/rant

Edited by MegaphoneStallone

I dunno I just find technology incredibly exciting. Especially what VR could do for people who are disabled, people who suffer crippling social anxiety etc.

There is so much that can be done with this that could benefit humanity beyond just playing games.

4 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I dunno I just find technology incredibly exciting. Especially what VR could do for people who are disabled, people who suffer crippling social anxiety etc.

There is so much that can be done with this that could benefit humanity beyond just playing games.

I can agree with this. The possibilities to help people are probably fantastic - but so is that in focusing on medical advancements, ethical studies on the human mind etc.
It's not like we couldn't solve the same problems with different, safer avenues.

Or, we could take the same avenue, and just make sure we put ethics above profitability. Because if we're solving the problems you mention, following the trajectory we are currently on, it's not about helping the vulnerable - it's about profiting from the exploitation of the vulnerable, which is so much worse than what we even have now.

7 hours ago, MegaphoneStallone said:

I can agree with this. The possibilities to help people are probably fantastic - but so is that in focusing on medical advancements, ethical studies on the human mind etc.
It's not like we couldn't solve the same problems with different, safer avenues.

Or, we could take the same avenue, and just make sure we put ethics above profitability. Because if we're solving the problems you mention, following the trajectory we are currently on, it's not about helping the vulnerable - it's about profiting from the exploitation of the vulnerable, which is so much worse than what we even have now.

If they are giving something that increases quality of life I'd say that's something worth paying for...

Sure. 100%. Such advancements, if they actually do improve quality of life are worth paying for. Paying in monetary terms, absolutely.

Not paying with our rights, humanity and dignity though.
If you're paying with those things, you're giving up some quality of life, to gain a separate kind.

@Alyxx (tagged cos I forgot to quote.)

Edited by MegaphoneStallone