Register Now
The Overseer

How you decide to buy a new video game?

I read a ton of reviews, watch some video reviews and check Metacritic. That said, even if it's getting mediocre reviews, I'll still possibly pick it up depending on how much I love the IP. For example, I picked up Fallout 76 yesterday even though it's had middling reviews because I bloody love that IP. Unsurprisingly, I'm having fun with it!

When it comes to buying a new video game I usually sit and watch streamers I watch on Mixer to see how the game plays and what they feel to it. If I like the look of the game and if the streamer seems to be having a lot of fun with the game then I consider buying it as soon as I can afford it. Reviews are also a really good way to be able to find out if a game is worth picking up, however, reviews are not always 100% true. Seeing someone play the game and seeing their reaction to the game I feel is the best kind of review!

I'm guilty of liking games by their cover 😄 But in reality I alwqys check all those games before buying them. For instance I would never know about FTL if not for a Youtuber called Northernlion. He's my favorite and he's made me want to buy tons of games over the past 5 years 😄

23 hours ago, Joshua Farrell said:

Whenever I bought a new game, it was usually due to friends having that game, or it somehow perked my interest enough to read about it while it was being advertised. I think the last game I bought off of impulse, was the console game edition of Lord of the Rings, for the x-box.

I use the same thing to my friends. I tell them about a game I bought or I've seen and want to buy and compulse them that they need it too. We at least have a few days of fun together 😄

I usually read reviews from well-known and reliable sources such as online magazines or youtube channels. Then I check the price, and if I am capable of purchasing it, I do some research on what it is about (If it is Singleplayer; The story. Multiplayer; The purpose). If it is singleplayer, then I also check for other factors such as Music, Graphics, Voice Actors, Plot. If it's online, I check if I can play it with my friends and if it has acceptable visuals (I don't play pixelated games. I mean, I have played Undertale, and I liked it, but I find them very tiring).