Register Now
StaceyPowers

What could be done to improve open world gaming?

I am really into open world gaming, but I feel like some things could definitely be improved. For example:

-More relevant "follow up" quests following completion of specific quest lines (i.e. after fixing the Thieves guild in Skyrim, why can't there be some kind of extended quest line involving the guild's new golden age?).

-More three-dimensional followers with solid backstories (Fallout NV does this right; Skyrim gets it pretty wrong).

-More continuity in terms of consequences of one's actions across the map.

I'd love to see a kind of hybrid format between Dragon Age and Skyrim. I love the openness of Skyrim, but it'd be cool if it had the depth and evolution of Dragon Age in response to one's choices.

What do you think could improve in open world game formats?

Quality quests and unique non repetitive dialogue. Be able to fly over the terrain and view the world from a bird's eye like in Assassins Creed. That was a brilliant treat. Let us fly a dragon and wreak havoc. I remember playing Destroy All Humans and you get to fly a spacecraft around and destroy things. And they remastered it now for the ps4 which I want. But to be interactive in the air as much as on ground would be fun. 

No more tailing missions (Assassin's Creed). I hate tailing missions in games, because it's just so slow. It takes me out of the game and just slows the pace down way too much. Assassin's Creed does this way too much in their games. And I think even GTA is guilty of this. 

On 10/16/2020 at 11:05 PM, killamch89 said:

Also to add - dynamic in-game events that are unique could add to the experience. I wished there would be a game where the antagonist(the Ai) plans random but well orchestrated schemes to take over the worldspace. 

I like that. Kind of what RDR2 where random enemies will come out and attack you when you decide to just ride around. I could see that being done for more games to increase random events. 

Edited by Kane99

Open world suffers single player or open world multiplayer.

On 10/29/2018 at 5:22 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I am really into open world gaming, but I feel like some things could definitely be improved. For example:

-More relevant "follow up" quests following completion of specific quest lines (i.e. after fixing the Thieves guild in Skyrim, why can't there be some kind of extended quest line involving the guild's new golden age?).

-More three-dimensional followers with solid backstories (Fallout NV does this right; Skyrim gets it pretty wrong).

I'd love to see a kind of hybrid format between Dragon Age and Skyrim. I love the openness of Skyrim, but it'd be cool if it had the depth and evolution of Dragon Age in response to one's choices.

What do you think could improve in open world game formats?

I like the idea of a hybrid between hack and slash and tabtarget/autoattack.  There are a couple older games in Star Wars franchise: Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast that I thought would be awesome in an open world multiplayer, even MMO style game, provided the combat and everything else were fleshed out suitably.  But it was a hybrid combat system.  

Edited by Jakeyjake

Open world games are uninteresting because they build a story and then make a world for that story. Instead they should build a living breathing world where every NPC has a purpose and their own backstory and their relationship system with other NPCs. And make scenery that is intruiging to explore in of itself, with interesting secrets. Meaning every location should have unique loot, and no gear level, so an armor you find on level1 should still be usable 10 hours later in the game. Armor is not magical it makes no sense that there is magnitudes of difference between different sets in efficiency.

And when you built a believable and interesting open world. Only then you should start on a main storyline that fits in this world. Not the other way around.

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I like that. Kind of what RDR2 where random enemies will come out and attack you when you decide to just ride around. I could see that being done for more games to increase random events. 

I mean, they do have a mod like that in Skyrim and it really adds to the experience but I want it to be an in-game feature right out of the box. Not something that comes from the Modding community( I love Skyrim's Modding community by the way).

On 10/18/2020 at 4:25 PM, Kane99 said:

No more tailing missions (Assassin's Creed). I hate tailing missions in games, because it's just so slow. It takes me out of the game and just slows the pace down way too much. Assassin's Creed does this way too much in their games. And I think even GTA is guilty of this. 

Seriously - It's actually what I really hated most with Assassin's Creed game in its tailing missions. If that could be eliminated, it's definitely going to be better. 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, m76 said:

Open world games are uninteresting because they build a story and then make a world for that story. Instead they should build a living breathing world where every NPC has a purpose and their own backstory and their relationship system with other NPCs. And make scenery that is intruiging to explore in of itself, with interesting secrets. Meaning every location should have unique loot, and no gear level, so an armor you find on level1 should still be usable 10 hours later in the game. Armor is not magical it makes no sense that there is magnitudes of difference between different sets in efficiency.

And when you built a believable and interesting open world. Only then you should start on a main storyline that fits in this world. Not the other way around.

When there is no uniqueness in each location in open world games, it makes a mess of the game plot generally. Repetitive tasks kills the interest of most games including open world games. 

1. On 10/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Absolutely this. I do like that you have the miscellaneous quests that - upon doing 10 of each type - net you some traders and craftsmen. It's a shame that other Elder Scrolls and Fallout games didn't do this. Once you got the final title and achievement for a guild, that was it, you might have a follower to order around (which is extremely limited in function) and some miscellaneous tasks to fulfill that you were already doing.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Again, this is a fine expectation given the prominence of companions. They've not changed since the days of Baldur's Gate though. They only speak three times:

1. For their first quest
  2. For their second quest
  3. For the final part of their quest

After that, it's like nothing happened. Unless there's a romance, in which case afterwards, there's either the option for woohoo, or see what I said before. With Fallout: New Vegas you have to goad characters into giving more info, but even then it's only after spending a predetermined amount of time, rather than naturally. I would very much like for companions to have their passive dialogue evolve over time, and stop you at different times to one-another. Bring back banter between two companions in the same party!

Apologies for going on about Oblivion once more, but I never got over the fact that before Baurus has even left the sewers, before the Emperor's body has gone cold, the first friendly NPC you talk to has rumours about Uriel Septim's assassination. Even I'm not over that!

I like the idea of news travelling slower than Fast Travel. This one definitely needs to come up in more conversation about open world games.

I would too, but I think this is just one of those things that works better in hub-based games like Dragon Age. The passage of time is a lot different when the scale's reduced like DA or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I can't think of many additions to add besides those I made in another thread about open world games, but I think you've hit the nail on the head.