Register Now
The Overseer

What got you into gaming?

Was it your father, a friend, something you saw on TV? etc. For me, it was a close friend. When kids our age were watching Cartoon Network, we were trying to code very simple games in BASIC. That's an old programming language from a case you were supposed to connect to your analog TV. 

My parents to be honest. Dad was a PC enthusiast when I grew up who built PC's and such himself, so he got me into PC gaming very early on with shareware games on PC and such.

My mom bought a Super Nintendo some time in the early 90's (94 or 95) and we'd play a lot of games together. Later on I got more into PC gaming as mom would get a PC instead of a new console.

My cousin got me into gaming. I remember when I was younger, I used to spend a lot of time at my Auntie's house and it was my cousin who was a huge gamer. We used to spend a lot of time together playing games such as Alex The Kidd and trying to get past the mini games such as Rock, Paper, Scissors which was always a lot of fun. A lot of my favourite memories of gaming come from when I used to stay at my Auntie's with my cousin and game.

A mixture of friends and family helped expose me to gaming in my formative years. Honestly though, it was more my own deep-seated passion and enthusiasm for the medium that really got me hooked, line and sinker.

Edited by DylanC

One day, when I was 12-14 years old one of my family releatives bought home from work an Xbox 360 with all the trending video games for me. The games included: Forze, GTA 5, Call of Duty (First version), and various other games. Since then, I've been hooked and I've had fun playing computer games ever since. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

I have literally no idea. I had no brothers that played, no friends that played too and my parents have never touched a joypad as well. My father as a teacher used to get me CD-Roms with school games so I get on to it from very early on. By 6-7 I started playing demo versions of games from magazines and Mame 32 and from then on I loved everything related to gaming. So I guess my father is at fault 😄

I think the adventure, excitement and curiosity that is one thing I can relate that got me into gaming. In retro days I used to see my cousins and other friends own things which I never did in that time and I got the addiction of game when I used to play with them. 

I saw commercials for several different Colecovision games on TV, and wanted to play it. I don't remember how, but we ended up with one, and my love of gaming was born. It and the Atari games were gifts from the Gods. Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Dig Dug were the greatest things in existence. Colecovision had its own version of Pac-Man however. Ladybug. I played Ladybug so much, my thumbs were still moving for about an hour after turning the system off. They were the greatest systems and games ever. I'm still looking for a working Colecovision. I have the flashback, but the idea of playing it makes me want to puke. I didn't buy it. It was a gift.