Register Now
The Overseer

You are given $100,000 to make a video game. What will you make?

16 hours ago, The Overseer said:

@Alyxx Sounds interesting, but kind of old, 80's era. You sure you'll have a market for that?

I've already tweeted about it and have gotten a ton of likes, so yeah. I think there is. To be honest I don't really care if there is a market for it, I just wanna make a game I think is cool.

And yeah it has an intentional late 80's/early 90's aesthetic. I just noticed there aren't a lot of games on PC that use that old PC EGA palette. Most retro games emulate console palettes, so I do feel I am filling a particular niche that way.

4 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I've already tweeted about it and have gotten a ton of likes, so yeah. I think there is. To be honest I don't really care if there is a market for it, I just wanna make a game I think is cool.

And yeah it has an intentional late 80's/early 90's aesthetic. I just noticed there aren't a lot of games on PC that use that old PC EGA palette. Most retro games emulate console palettes, so I do feel I am filling a particular niche that way.

I just looked at the link. I'm in, I love the 90's aesthetic!

On 10/31/2018 at 5:50 PM, MegaphoneStallone said:

I'd make a cheap, crappy Tetris style, whatever nothing game and run away with the rest of the cash. 😉

lol. Personally, I would make an open world, action-oriented mmorpg with loads of customization so that each character truly feels unique and the gameplay would be fast-paced and over the top.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:38 PM, Keranov said:

I haven't seen any good MMORPGs nowadays, at least in my opinion. I would definitely go for a MMORPG as it's one of my favourite genres if not my absolutely favourite one.

I fancy GW2; you should give it a go.

Now, there is an entire theory based on that. Game Development is not just a bunch of nerdy programmers getting together and making a game. It is much more than that. Now, I will take as an example Detroit: Become Human, because I read an article the other day which I found extremely interesting. The article said that the director of the game worked with psychiatrists to get the most realistic behaviour in his characters. If you have played the game, you will most probably understand what I mean.

I would split the money into three parts. 33% would go towards the story, 33% towards the gameplay mechanics and 33% towards graphics. I feel that a balanced game will be the most enjoyable. A mediocre story means that the player would be less interested in it. Thus the probabilities of them stop playing or not recommending it would be considerably high. Poor gameplay mechanics would lead to fewer capabilities and again, makes the game less enjoyable. I mean, being able to do a double backroll is undoubtedly more interesting than merely pressing 'S' and going backwards — lastly, graphics. I think that poor graphics means the poor representation of what you want to depict. Games, or at least meaningful ones, have a story to tell, and the best way to do that is by using pictures. I mean, there are great Text RPGs out there such as Magium, but what differentiates Magium from Skyrim, for example, is the fact that Skyrim gives you so many possibilities, and it depicts the story in such an elegant manner that makes the game more compelling.

I am not sure what the game would be about, but there is one thing for sure; it would be open world.