Register Now
The Overseer

You are given $100,000 to make a video game. What will you make?

It may cost more than £100,000 to make a video game. You have to pay a team of developers unless YOUR highly skilled with computer programming. I would create GTA 6 and depending on how much money it takes, I may end up having to ask the bank for a loan. I would split the money into three parts: 25% on Graphics, 25% on plot/storymode, and 50% on staff wages to support me along the journey! 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

I'm not sure how far $100,000 would go to be fair. I would try and learn some programming languages that are good for making games and then build the game myself. I would probably try to spend a bit of the money on actually developing the games and the graphics and keep the rest for marketing. As we all know, there's no point in having a good game if no one knows about it. Marketing is extremely important and can help you a lot.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, DarthHazard said:

I'm not sure how far $100,000 would go to be fair. I would try and learn some programming languages that are good for making games and then build the game myself. I would probably try to spend a bit of the money on actually developing the games and the graphics and keep the rest for marketing. As we all know, there's no point in having a good game if no one knows about it. Marketing is extremely important and can help you a lot.

That's a brilliant answer and yes, the marketing is just as important to the success of the game as the actual gameplay.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's a brilliant answer and yes, the marketing is just as important to the success of the game as the actual gameplay.

But then again, it's probably wise to spend a lot of money on the actual development as well and not just the marketing. I mean, look at No Man's Sky. They spent quite a bit on marketing but came with up so much exaggeration on their trailers that it flopped at the start. And then they had to go and spend more money on developing the game and fixing it up so that's it is at it's current state which is not too bad.

6 minutes ago, DarthHazard said:

But then again, it's probably wise to spend a lot of money on the actual development as well and not just the marketing. I mean, look at No Man's Sky. They spent quite a bit on marketing but came with up so much exaggeration on their trailers that it flopped at the start. And then they had to go and spend more money on developing the game and fixing it up so that's it is at it's current state which is not too bad.

At least the marketing can get most who love to pre-order and buy games right after launch to spend that money without knowing what the actual gameplay is like. I know it's a dirty and dishonest tactic but a lot of business employ the same tactic and if I'm not mistaken they have either a word or phrase for it but I can't quite remember what it was.

Edited by killamch89

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

At least the marketing can get most who love to pre-order and buy games right after launch to spend that money without knowing what the actual gameplay is like. I know it's a dirty and dishonest tactic but a lot of business employ the same tactic and if I'm not mistaken they have either a word or phrase for it but I can't quite remember what it was.

That is a pretty dirty and dishonest tactic and it's a short-term plan really. It will never work in the long run and will only cost you more money, in my opinion. You can use the same example of No Man's Sky for this. They got a lot of pre-orders and sales for the game but the moment people realised the game was awful, they didn't want it and returned it. I believe Steam actually started accepting mass returns for the game based on "false promises".

1 hour ago, DarthHazard said:

That is a pretty dirty and dishonest tactic and it's a short-term plan really. It will never work in the long run and will only cost you more money, in my opinion. You can use the same example of No Man's Sky for this. They got a lot of pre-orders and sales for the game but the moment people realised the game was awful, they didn't want it and returned it. I believe Steam actually started accepting mass returns for the game based on "false promises".

Hell, most infomercials thrive off the same principle. They promise you that the item they are selling can give you superpowers and everything in the cosmos and yet when you purchase and receive the item, it hardly does diddly-squat. The worse part is, this has been happening for over a decade now. It's one of those things that crept into gaming sometime in the early 2000s.

Oh yeah. It's just something that you hoped would never have come into the gaming industry but it looks like it's here. The thing is, the gaming community can come together and we won't accept these types of practices. Look at Star Wars Battlefront 2. The whole community came together and we got the in-game microtransactions/loot boxes removed because of the huge backlash.

5 hours ago, DarthHazard said:

Oh yeah. It's just something that you hoped would never have come into the gaming industry but it looks like it's here. The thing is, the gaming community can come together and we won't accept these types of practices. Look at Star Wars Battlefront 2. The whole community came together and we got the in-game microtransactions/loot boxes removed because of the huge backlash.

Don't worry, there is way more backlash coming EA and Bethesda's way so they better prepare themselves.

EA won't learn. They'll keep doing it until there is a law preventing predatory microtransactions or an absolutely massive backlash. They have some good game titles and series' and players will always buy microtransactions in certain games and as long as they do that, they won't change. The problem is that only a small portion of the players have to spend money to make EA massive amounts. For example, with FIFA, the YouTubers spend massive amounts of money on FIFA packs and that won't change no matter what. And because of that, casual gamers suffer.

30 minutes ago, DarthHazard said:

EA won't learn. They'll keep doing it until there is a law preventing predatory microtransactions or an absolutely massive backlash. They have some good game titles and series' and players will always buy microtransactions in certain games and as long as they do that, they won't change. The problem is that only a small portion of the players have to spend money to make EA massive amounts. For example, with FIFA, the YouTubers spend massive amounts of money on FIFA packs and that won't change no matter what. And because of that, casual gamers suffer.

I agree with you there and EA is the only company trying to fight the law in Belgium that is mad to regulate loot boxes. I really do want them to tank hard - they are like a cancer to the gaming industry.

My approach would be to make the horror game with some sort of adventure and survival quest. Mostly realistic like say resident evil. It should be something that makes people fear for the gameplay. I know I have tried many such games but it can be pretty effective to try survival horror and let people spend hours into the game play. It's hard to find such games these days so my option would be that. 

Without having to think twice about this, Resident Evil would be something that I'll use as inspiration. This is one of the best game in the world and I would be very happy if I could something like that (and with that amount of money, this would be easy... haha!).

Edited by Shine_Spirit

On 3/2/2019 at 7:41 PM, Shine_Spirit said:

Without having to think twice about this, Resident Evil would be something that I'll use as inspiration. This is one of the best game in the world and I would be very happy if I could something like that (and with that amount of money, this would be easy... haha!).

Actually, to make something rivaling RE's quality, you'd need millions of dollars.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Actually, to make something rivaling RE's quality, you'd need millions of dollars.

Well, I kinda agree with you. But, depending on your level of ambition and criativity... I think it's better to have some cash left than missing, haha! Besides that, you'll never when a new techonology will be available on the market.