Register Now
StaceyPowers

Single most important factor in driving you to buy a game?

Obviously we all weigh a number of considerations into our game purchases, but if you had to pick one most important factor, what would it be?

For me, I think I would say it is depth. It can be depth of characters, depth of world development, or depth of story, but it needs to be there in one respect or another.

Eh, it can be any reason really. If it's cause I find the game world intriguing, or the story, or just think the gameplay looks fun. Sometimes I may even buy it purely based on the graphics or because it's in a genre I love.

Its hard to pin point one specific thing I look for, its more of a general feeling of does it look cool and fun.  I like open worlds, RPG elements, and compelling action, so if I see those things I will probably pick it up. Also, if it has a theme/setting of something I am a fan of, like comic book games (Spider-man, Arkham), or Lord of the Rings, something like that, or even just a general fantasy setting that is a plus as well. 

I don't weigh anything.

I play N64 primarily, so I buy games based on how well I remember them and how fun I remember them being.

Though, now that I'm looking at maybe getting a Nintendo Switch and I was in store yesterday - every second game looked cool to me.

Edited by MegaphoneStallone

Sometimes just a screenshot displaying a game's unique art-style and aesthetics can be enough for me to buy a game. I remember importing Demon's Souls on PS3 just on a couple of screenshots alone, way before the whole Soulsborne zeitgeist took hold. I could tell from the handful of screenshots that it was something that really appealed to me. I wasn't disappointed.

When I go to pick up a game, I look at the story line. I always love a game with a great story line, without one I feel I lose interest too easily. Graphics are not a main factor for me, graphics can be amazing but the game be terrible and I have been burned on  games before going for them because of graphics rather than storyline or even game play.

Reviews are also something I look into as well before making a purchase. If they end up being really bad I tend to not bother but if they have a mix of good and bad reviews I tend to take the chance based on how interesting the story seems.

There's quite a few factors for me but the biggest is what the game is actually about. I very rarely go for games that isn't an open world unless it's a first person shooter or a sports game like FIFA. I tend to prefer open world games that give me freedom to do whatever I want like Grand Theft Auto, The Crew and even Red Dead Redemption 2 which I am loving at the moment. I like completing a great story line but it honestly would not be at the top of my list. For example, with the Crew 2, I literally only bought it to drive cars around the massive map. I don't care one bit about the actual races 😄

On 12/7/2018 at 5:14 PM, DarthHazard said:

There's quite a few factors for me but the biggest is what the game is actually about. I very rarely go for games that isn't an open world unless it's a first person shooter or a sports game like FIFA. I tend to prefer open world games that give me freedom to do whatever I want like Grand Theft Auto, The Crew and even Red Dead Redemption 2 which I am loving at the moment. I like completing a great story line but it honestly would not be at the top of my list. For example, with the Crew 2, I literally only bought it to drive cars around the massive map. I don't care one bit about the actual races 😄

Open-World games are what I love as well. I love games with lots of Freedom and customization as I love to push the limits of my gaming experience.