Register Now
The Overseer

Do you know how to build/customize a PC?

Being a gamer and upgrading every couple of years, I learned how to do it by myself, so I don't have to pay other people to do it for me. There are some tough areas where I don't venture, like liquid cooling (although there are plenty tutorials on YouTube), but I know how to install Windows, how to upgrade my RAM, install a cooler, add new hard-drives, find out the system specs, keep my system clean, etc. What about you? Do you get around your PC or you'd rather pay others to mingle with it?

All of my PC's have been custom built. Both my mom and dad would make custom built PC's. I don't think I've ever used a branded PC actually. The idea of buying a branded PC instead of building it yourself was always alien to me because of my upbringing.

Edited by Alyxx

Yes, I know how to build a PC however I like buying them from a store. I've never had a problem with any of my systems. This brings us onto the arguement of building or buying a person computer. Reasons behind my preference:

• Warranty and support
  • Cheaper than building
  • The PARTS will work as they have been tested

I know some things about building my own PC but there are other aspects of it that I still haven't quite got the hang of and still need to work more on those things. I would love to be able to fully build a PC and be able to say "I built this" and be proud of it. The PC I have right now is one I had built for me which is under a 3 year warranty and so far I am really pleased with it and wouldn't change it. Being able to fully build my own PC though is a goal I have and hopefully will one day be something I accomplish.

1 hour ago, Alyxx said:

I started building when I was about 14.

Unlike you, I grew up in a somewhat computer-illiterate home lol. My parents treated our computer like some kind of Alien technology that we happened to accidentally discover and everything on it was written in an alien language that nobody but I understood.

10 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Unlike you, I grew up in a somewhat computer-illiterate home lol. My parents treated our computer like some kind of Alien technology that we happened to accidentally discover and everything on it was written in an alien language that nobody but I understood.

lol, I guess I was lucky in that regard with my mom and dad both being fairly knowledgeable about computers...

12 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I started building when I was about 14.

What was your first build that you can remember, do you have a picture of it? Tell me the specifications. At what age did you start becoming computer illiterate, 14? Finally, what got you into the world of computers?

Just now, xXInfectedXx said:

What was your first build that you can remember, do you have a picture of it? Tell me the specifications. At what age did you start becoming computer illiterate, 14? Finally, what got you into the world of computers?

Oh I was computer literate all through growing up. Went through PC magazines like a kid in a candy store.

My first build was a white Intel Celeron based PC. It had multiple GPU's over the years but all of them were AGP cards I remember. Don't remember how much RAM it had at the top of my head or how much storage I had but I did run Windows 98SE on it.

2 hours ago, Alyxx said:

lol, I guess I was lucky in that regard with my mom and dad both being fairly knowledgeable about computers...

Yes, you are lol. They also automatically assume I know what is wrong with their PC and can fix it - they claim this is my generation I should know🤣