Register Now
The Overseer

Gaming in 1990's -- better than today?

Sure, games got a lot bigger, more realistic and immersive, but in the 1990s we had: 

- the complete game on release; 

- no lengthy loading screens; 

- no micro-transactions; 

- no trash talking online;

- you die, you replay the entire game; 

- no DLC; 

- blowing on the memory cartridges, lol; 

- no one holding your hand with stupid tutorials (press WASD to move). 

It was different, that's for sure. And with how rapid PC technology grew in the 90's, we had almost a massive array of different genres in the race of constantly being the most technically advanced game on the market.

22 hours ago, Keranov said:

I feel like only the graphics have advanced from then. I don''t like most of the newer video games that are getting released nowadays.

Some people (I'm speaking for me) don't even think graphics have improved, from a subjective standpoint at least.

Sure, they're more impressive in that they are more intricate and realistic. But is that really what we even want from gaming? Personally I like being able to distinguish very clearly what a game looks like and what life looks life.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, The Overseer said:

Sure, games got a lot bigger, more realistic and immersive, but in the 1990s we had: 

- the complete game on release; 

- no lengthy loading screens; 

- no micro-transactions; 

- no trash talking online;

- you die, you replay the entire game; 

- no DLC; 

- blowing on the memory cartridges, lol; 

- no one holding your hand with stupid tutorials (press WASD to move). 

I've got mixed feelings, honestly. On one hand, you're absolutely right with what you said above. But then, games have evolved in mind-blowing ways (scope, size, graphics, online etc.) It's a great thought experiment. But, frankly, games right now have been the best they've ever been in many, many ways. Grr, I'm quite torn with this question!