Register Now
Jerlene

What's the point in believing in God?

This is something I honestly never really understood if I am honest as to why people do believe in God. Who know's maybe it's that confidence of believing he is there when times are hard that gets them through the troubled times. I am not a believer in God myself so it is hard to pin point exactly why people do believe in him.

I have in the past come across people who claim they believe in him, go to church and pray before meals but yet are the most cold hearted people you can meet. Maybe they feel it makes everything better because they believe in God. It's a shame really that they feel they can believe in God but can do the complete opposite to what they preach and make people's lives a misery truly believing that because they believe their is a God it doesn't matter. 

I can only give my own personal reason for my faith in all honesty. I know there are Christians out there who use God as an excuse to do pretty bad things, but I do not consider myself among them.

For me believing in God helps me feel like we have a purpose in this world, that we were not put here by random chance. It helps me feel like we are part of something greater than us, and that all this hate that so-called religious people spread really doesn't matter.

To me God is a force of good that lives in all of us, and we have our choice whether we want to be guided by God or not. It's not about reading the bible, going to church and focusing on how people love each other being wrong.

It's about being good, plain and simple. And that's what believing in God is to me. Believing that there is something good in all of us, regardless of who we are, regardless of our colour, gender, sexual preference and so on.

I never really try to force my faith on others, I want people to choose for themselves how they want to see the world. Because you cannot make someone believe in God, it has to come from within yourself. It's not something you're told, it's something you feel, something you just know.

That's why it's a bit difficult for me to properly express why I believe in God. I just kinda do because I feel it so strongly.

I've been told that I'm not a true Christian, but personally I don't really care how other people define Christianity. This is how I choose to define it because it makes my world a better place.

Edited by Alyxx

11 hours ago, mont86 said:

I'm amazed how much money religion raises..

What was meant to help the masses is corrupted to swindle people out of their belongings. Some of those same religious leaders should be charged for fraud because they keep using "God's" name to trick people out of their hard-earned wealth.

9 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

What was meant to help the masses is corrupted to swindle people out of their belongings. Some of those same religious leaders should be charged for fraud because they keep using "God's" name to trick people out of their hard-earned wealth.

There are prophets who claim that they are god in the flesh. Is that true? Absolutely not, they are just charlatans who want to sway the masses.

But much like how we are defensive when gaming gets associated with mass shootings, we have to undersatdn that the malefactors in religion are definitely not the representatives of the morale and ethics that religion pushes.

3 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

There are prophets who claim that they are god in the flesh. Is that true? Absolutely not, they are just charlatans who want to sway the masses.

But much like how we are defensive when gaming gets associated with mass shootings, we have to undersatdn that the malefactors in religion are definitely not the representatives of the morale and ethics that religion pushes.

I understand what you are saying but take into consideration that in most religions tend to try and cover up the ills of some of the people who use their powerful positions to prey on the weak and vulnerable. All that does is to convince the masses that they are more interest in preserving the image of the institution rather than dealing with the issue in a transparent manner.

8 minutes ago, mont86 said:

Another concerning issue for me , is how the top tier officials in religious groups live lavish lifestyles .. at the others expense.

Exactly Mont and most of them don't own or operate any business of their own outside of their place of worship.