Register Now
Jerlene

Is soccer manlier than football?

Soccer players and fans love saying that it's a real mans sport. They love comparing it to American football and saying that American football is nothing compared to their football. Do you agree? 

I think it takes a man to be able to take the kind of hits American football players do. Doesn't take much to run up and down a field kicking a ball.

Hell no that’s a load of bullshit. You know how many players in football get hurt, have career ending injuries. So no having protection means nothing and doesn’t differentiate between the sports. I however do think football is more manlier then futbol

On 12/22/2018 at 10:16 PM, killamch89 said:

Football players are padded up in all kinds of protective equipment so they won't really feel anything. If you have ever taken soccer tackle especially studs up in your shin or being elbowed in the face or being stamped on then you'd have a different opinion.

Well, a lot of chauvinist Europeans - hate Americans - and so naturally they diss Americans as effeminate.  It's a thing in Europe where - Americans are uncool - so naturally whatever they play sucks.

But this is all nation specific - a sort of ethnic narcissism, so, of course, Americans see Europeans prancing around with a soccer ball and say it's girlish, especially compared to American Football.

The actual truth, though, is that most sports are equally dangerous. I mean, it depends on how closely your looking.  For instance, the hits in basketball can be as severe as American Football.

I’ve seen a few soccer games, and a lot of football. I’m not particularly a fan of either. But from my perspective, football looks a lot more dangerous than soccer. I’ve never seen soccer players intentionally tackling each other to the ground. As for the mention of cleats, they wear metal cleats in football too. And if a tackle goes wrong the player can end up with severe spinal injuries or worse. I don’t know of any athletes getting a broken spine in a soccer game. But I do have to mention that soccer fans are the only ones I know of other than us hockey fans who will riot and get in physical fights with each other.

Football to me is more like a way of life. There are moments of joy, sorrows if team lost. Football keeps one happy and if you are a player, that plays football, when is at your feet, one tends to forget all sorrows.

There's no way an football player could keep up with pro soccer players. And there's no way a soccer player could stand up to pro football players. Granted both have to be in top physical shape, and they have to be at the top of their game, but football is a contact sport, whereas soccer technically isn't. In football the objective is to take the guy with the ball down to the ground before he gets very far. I don't see soccer players intentionally lunging onto a guy with every play trying to put his ass in the dirt.

I'm not trying to knock soccer or football, as I'm not really a fan of either. Hockey is my game. I'm just pointing out what I see from the two sports. I played soccer as a kid on a city league, but never knew or understood enough about football to play it. I watch the Super Bowl, but that's strictly for the commercials.

All major sports except golf and a few others are incredibly dangerous.   For instance, plenty of injuries can happen in basketball or baseball.  Anyway, in that case, let's not do name-calling.  Well, there is this American chauvinist thing where soccer isn't seen as being cool - because it's different and not native to the USA.   However, though, on the flip side, American soccer is dissed as inferior by a lot of players in Europe, I think.  For instance, what do they think of MLS, lol?