Register Now
Jerlene

Age discrimination - why is it prohibited by law?

On 11/10/2018 at 4:05 AM, Jerlene said:

If someone is too young to do a job or too old to do a job then they shouldn't be hired. It's probably safer for everyone that they not be hired. What do you guys think?

I agree with this sentiment because the younger employees tend to be inexperienced to handle very demanding situations or suffer from a bit of immaturity. The way older folks tend to suffer from old age-related issues such as slower response time, lack of energy, poor eyesight, judgement and can be quite grumpy...

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, killamch89 said:

I agree with this sentiment because the younger employees tend to be inexperienced to handle very demanding situations or suffer from a bit of immaturity. The way older folks tend to suffer from old age-related issues such as slower response time, lack of energy, poor eyesight, judgement and can be quite grumpy...

Just because some one is a bit younger doesn't mean they are immature. I knew kids that were a lot more mature than full grown adults when I was 12. Also it's unfair to say that older workers are slow, lethargic, can't see or have bad judgement. Just because they are older doesn't mean they have Alzheimer's

You need to look at performance, not age. That's all there is to it. Judging strictly by age is not only discrimination, it's prejudice.

41 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Just because some one is a bit younger doesn't mean they are immature. I knew kids that were a lot more mature than full grown adults when I was 12. Also it's unfair to say that older workers are slow, lethargic, can't see or have bad judgement. Just because they are older doesn't mean they have Alzheimer's

You need to look at performance, not age. That's all there is to it. Judging strictly by age is not only discrimination, it's prejudice.

Because of my experience in law enforcement, I have worked with many people of various ages and what I said in my statement earlier does apply to most situations especially in a pressurized environment where one mistake can cost you your reputation, source of stable income and your freedom(in extreme cases your life). Performance should be the standard by which you should be judged but in the case of law enforcement, you require way more than that.