Register Now
Jerlene

Can 18 year olds make it?

Eighteen was always the age people stopped being considered a kid and started to be seen as an adult. This is usually when parents kick you out and you need to learn how to make it on your own. These days, do you think 18 year olds can make it on their own?

In America you can start working legally as early as age 14, as long as you have a work permit signed by your parent. Knowing they won't live with their parents forever they should take advantage of that and work and save for when they move out. 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:34 PM, Jerlene said:

Because kids these days come off more entitled, probably haven't had a job by that age, or if they did it wasn't a job they could live off of. There are too many factours against them. 

The entitlement comment is really an unfair generalization. I don't think age is an indicator of whether or not someone can make it on their own. 

At the age of 18 where I live in the UK by that age the child has been out of school for two years and has probably either been in college for two years or has been in work for two years so yes, I do believe that by the age of 18 that person can make it as long as they strive to make it by doing what they can to make sure they make it. Would I kick my children out at the age of 18 years old? No! I would rather see them succeed and build their way to a secure life rather than see them out there struggling. We all know that it takes a while to get to where we are today and it's a lot harder now. Can they make it? Yes! Do they need help doing so? Definitely!

On 11/18/2018 at 8:27 PM, DC said:

The entitlement comment is really an unfair generalization. I don't think age is an indicator of whether or not someone can make it on their own. 

I agree. I know guys my age who still live in their parents' house and I know an 18-year-old chick who lives on her own right now so that statement is baseless.