Register Now
StaceyPowers

Gaming for catharsis

I think a lot of people play video games to get some kind of psychological release. Obviously you see this a lot with FPS games. Games give us a chance to do what we can’t do in real life.

What gives you some form of catharsis while gaming? For me, it is games which allow me to take action against social ills I can’t do anything about in real life (i.e. striking out against bigotry). Even though nothing real is accomplished (obviously), there is still a sense of emotional satisfaction I can't experience IRL.

You couldn't be any more true. It's good to feel powerful and extremely inteligent in video games and it sure gives you satisfaction when you manage to give justice to things. That's mainly the reason why I could never kill people without a reason in games. Even in multiplayer ones I prefer just doing the objective and avoid conflict 😄

On 11/14/2018 at 11:47 AM, Katri Marcell said:

That's mainly the reason why I could never kill people without a reason in games. Even in multiplayer ones I prefer just doing the objective and avoid conflict 😄

That's great. I never thought of it like that before, but you nailed it. If I kill people in games without a reason, I remove the emotional payoff of getting righteous results.

17 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That's great. I never thought of it like that before, but you nailed it. If I kill people in games without a reason, I remove the emotional payoff of getting righteous results.

Exactly! Everyone is making fun of me for not killing in PUBG for instance. I just tell them where to shoot and revive them and hand them guns when needed. It's extra fun if you ask me hahahaha

9 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Personally for me, being a trans female, creating female personas in games has always been important to me. Allows me to live in a world as the gender I identify as.

That's an amazing view on the topic. This gives people the opportunity to perfectly express their identities. Kudos for that!

11 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Personally for me, being a trans female, creating female personas in games has always been important to me. Allows me to live in a world as the gender I identify as.

Awesome answer. Playing MMOs when I was young did a lot to open my eyes to a world beyond the demographic lines that other people in society have drawn. I wrote a number of papers on gaming in college and how it can help us see past social constructs and explore different aspects of our identities which might be suppressed in our day-to-day lives.

1 hour ago, Katri Marcell said:

Exactly! Everyone is making fun of me for not killing in PUBG for instance. I just tell them where to shoot and revive them and hand them guns when needed. It's extra fun if you ask me hahahaha

I can relate to that in a way. In a small MMO I played for a couple of years, I got annoyed at the inconsistency of players killing NPCs without blinking to level up. I felt that in-character, they should be treated just like PCs. So I stopped killing them to level up. I took a lot of flak for that, and life was pretty hard (especially since I got banned from all the guilds for a while and had no class). But it was oddly rewarding pushing myself down a challenging path like that when nobody else would.

Edited by StaceyPowers

14 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I can relate to that in a way. In a small MMO I played for a couple of years, I got annoyed at the inconsistency of players killing NPCs without blinking to level up. I felt that in-character, they should be treated just like PCs. So I stopped killing them to level up. I took a lot of flak for that, and life was pretty hard (especially since I got banned from all the guilds for a while and had no class). But it was oddly rewarding pushing myself down a challenging path like that when nobody else would.

I get you totally! MMOs are even more immersive on that matter since you create a character and feel like you're him/her. It just gives you all those moral questions like would I do this if I was in that state? Why can't I negotiate instead? Why can't we just all get along?? 😄

9 hours ago, Katri Marcell said:

I get you totally! MMOs are even more immersive on that matter since you create a character and feel like you're him/her. It just gives you all those moral questions like would I do this if I was in that state? Why can't I negotiate instead? Why can't we just all get along?? 😄

Actually, playing that game was arguably how I developed a moral compass at all as a teenager =D

I never even heard of the term catharsis before. This is a really good topic. I'm not sure what role games play for me. I have so many deep seeded problems that I can't really pin point one where I get an 'emotional release' through gaming. I started gaming in my last few months of drinking alcohol. But while drinking I couldn't play because my concentration and memory were shot to hell. So I wouldn't remember what happened n the game the next day. In a way, gaming has kept my mind focused on better things. On more beautiful things. On more interesting things. I always told myself that boredom is what made me drink. Gaming has taken that boredom away for the most part. And I have found better feelings in games that I haven't felt in years. I guess I'm an awakened zombie. That's my 'emotional release.' But it's more to it than that, I know there is. As time goes on, maybe I'll uncover more emotional burdens I kept bottled over the years. But it is amazing to be alive again and to explore all the beautiful environments brings me more pleasure without even grasping why. But there is a reason there for playing the games I play. And I can probably go on and on but I'll stop for now and think more on this for a while.