Register Now
italianmunchiez

Battle Royale Genre Overrated?

So recently the battle royale genre has become a big thing as with fortnite and H1Z1 where as you land in the world and pick up weapons armor and fight to survive.

a lot of games like this has been released lately but the real question here is how long this trend will continue to ramp up.

How long do you think games like Fortnite will stay popular and not die down? I give it a few more months if not weeks playing the same thing over and over again constantly does tend to make one lose interest in the game.

17 hours ago, DylanC said:

I’d say the genre is indeed getting oversaturated but it’s not necessarily overrated per se. I’d give it about a year and the next popular thing will be in vogue.

Maybe so alot of people thought Fortnite would die once blackout for Black Ops 4 came out but I guess not.

When Fortnite was first released it was something new and fresh for me to play and I enjoyed jumping into games and playing for a while, even from the beginning though I could never play for more than about an hour before I had to move to another game and take a break from it. 

Fortnite has been popular now for around a year and I really feel like slowly people are getting fed up of the same thing over and over. No matter what Battle Royale game you play it really is only drop, find weapons and survive and for something like that I really feel it will only be a matter of time before it get's too much and people move on.

Fortnite are trying to change things up a bit with different game modes but even then it's only an objective and it's still the same concept, jump, land and find weapons to survive. I say give it a few more months and we may see it die out a lot more. 

I don't know if it's overrated as much as it is a fad.  Online competitive shooters have always been popular, its an area that has wide appeal.  Battle Royal is just another evolution of that, and Fortnite in particular, by being F2P and its cartoonyness has become popular to the younger population of gamers in particular, giving it a lot of hype.  Now we see battle royal modes making in into more mainstream FPS games, like COD and Battlefield.  So I think battle royal is probably around to stay, but the hype around games like fortnite will die slowly and it will be left with a core player base and we will begin to hear about it less and less.  

What is bugging me about the battle royale genre is why did it take so long for it to be a thing? I mean, any shooter could be a br game. I feel a bit betrayed as a gamer now that there's a huge amount of br games when two years ago we only had mods and ideas waiting to be pitched. I don't even know if that makes sense, 😄 but it makes me mad