Register Now
StaceyPowers

What Makes for a Good FPS Map?

When you are playing FPS games, what do you look for in a solid map?

This is a very subjective topic, but here is what I typically like:

-A reasonable amount of small, tight areas (I play better in them, and dislike maps which are totally wide open).

-Smart use of vertical space to add more dimensionality to game play.

-Distinctive areas or landmarks which assist with navigation.

-Some intuitive "flow" to the landscape. This one is hard to explain, but there are some maps which just don't make any logical sense to my brain. No matter how often I play them, I never really learn my way around effectively.

-A variety of features to support different play styles.

-"Fun" features, i.e. those bouncy pads on Q3A. Or like in this player-made map called Shibam for Q3A, there are spots where you can woosh through the air and do other fun things.

-Strategic opportunities. I.e. if there is a ranged weapon on a map for sniping, I want there to be a variety of exciting sniper's nests to choose from.

-Aesthetics. I'd rather play an ugly map that plays well that a pretty map that doesn't, but ambiance does go a long way for me.

Edited by StaceyPowers

I tend to gravitate towards smaller, tighter maps. I think that's why Nuketown and Summit (from Black Ops) are two of my favourite maps ever. The downside is that spawn killing can be an issue on smaller maps. But generally, I feel that smaller maps have a more kinetic energy/flow to them.