Register Now
StaceyPowers

Bending the Rules

@Katri Marcell and I were talking in this thread about situations where we have “bent the rules” in terms of intended game play in various games. She talked about playing a support role in PUBG instead of killing other players, and I talked about an MMO where I refused to kill NPCs to level up. In both cases, we found our choices rewarding, even though other players questioned our basic sanity =D

I also remember these golf simulator games when I was a kid which didn’t really interest me in terms of golf. I just played the golf in order to run around the course maps and explore. I would often try to send the ball as far to the edge of the map as possible, always wishing there was more to see. I'd get depressed when it'd fall off the edge into nothingness. Now we have open world games to fill the void I was trying to fill in childhood with the golf games.

Anyone else have similar stories to share?

I remember back in my Guild Wars 2 days, I used to act like an NPC citizen just to get a different feel of it. I would find houses along the way and try to figure out which one I want for more to live in, and just sit there whenever I was AFK. I would also find perfect spots for sunset gazing and look for the spots with the best view. Everyone else was grinding in PvP but those things were never for me 😄

6 hours ago, Katri Marcell said:

I remember back in my Guild Wars 2 days, I used to act like an NPC citizen just to get a different feel of it. I would find houses along the way and try to figure out which one I want for more to live in, and just sit there whenever I was AFK. I would also find perfect spots for sunset gazing and look for the spots with the best view. Everyone else was grinding in PvP but those things were never for me 😄

Oh you did that too? I would often walk around (yes actually walk) just to act like an NPC as well in Guild Wars 2.

Man I love that game...

9 hours ago, Katri Marcell said:

I did a lot of that in the MUD I played too. I still remember some of the spots I loved very clearly.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:38 PM, Alyxx said:

Oh you did that too? I would often walk around (yes actually walk) just to act like an NPC as well in Guild Wars 2.

Man I love that game...

Still the best mmo for me! That huge human city was perfect to just act like an NPC 😄 I even stand next to the street dancing and role playing in the local chat that I'm a street artist to brighten their day hahahahaha