Register Now
fantanoice

Your thoughts on Unity / Unreal games?

Unity and Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) are both game engines that a studio can license out to make their own video games. This is a pretty new concept. Not to long ago every studio needed to develop their own engine and build their game on top of that. 

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's good that these engines are so readily avaliable or do you think it's cheating? Let us know.

It's not a new concept, lol. It's been going for years.

Personally, I don't think it's cheating. I actually believe that people who waste their time making their own engine from scratch are stupid. There's no point reinventing the wheel, as creating an engine takes years. Literally. Years you could have spent working on your game. Ironically, they all regret it and say they should have not wasted time on creating a new engine. Unless your game is really small or you're doing it for educational purposes (learning how stuff works), you should avoid making your own engine. 

It's been the last decade-or-so that it's really picked up. That's new in the timeline of commercial game development. 😛

I agree with you on almost all fronts. I think it's usually a better use of your time to learn one of these engines and build your game on top of that because, as you say, engines take a really long time to make. Plus they're tried and true because hundreds of studios use them around the world. If you roll with your own you have to deal with bugs that these engines probably resolved years ago. 

However, I also acknowledge that there are some good reasons to roll with your own engine. If you have very specific requirements that the licensed ones can't meet then you have to go your own. I worked for a sports game company that rolled with their own because they had very specific ball physics requirements that would require lots of customisation from Unreal and Unity would straight up not be able to deal with it. 

If you roll with your own you can also tailor it to your own needs. For instance, you could build it so you can deploy to modern consoles, but also a SNES cart if you wanted to. 

It's been going on since the Quake engine. Not a new concept by any means...

And games like Strife and Heretic were made with licensed Doom engines.

The only difference is the scope of licensed engines being more commonly used nowadays than custom ones.

I guess that's true. And there would have been the modding scene on top of that as well now that I think about it. I grew up console gaming so these things things were out of my zeitgeist. 

Though it should go without saying that they weren't anywhere near as prevalent or accessible as the engines around today.