Register Now
Shortie861

Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving for those of you who are in the US! For me, living in the UK I will not be celebrating Thanksgiving as we do not celebrate (never understood why) but I do have friends and my boyfriend also celebrates.

Are you celebrating Thanksgiving today and if so, what are your plans? Will you be spending it with family?

I have heard of some people actually spending it alone which I really feel is a shame if I am honest, I would hate to spend it alone especially when so many others are spending it with family.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. I believe the reason UK does not celebrate it is because it's a American holiday. Lol. On that note I spent my Thanksgiving with the Mrs. and our cats. We're going to spend it tomorrow with the rest of the family. 

On 11/23/2018 at 7:22 AM, Jerlene said:

Happy Thanksgiving to you. I believe the reason UK does not celebrate it is because it's a American holiday. Lol. On that note I spent my Thanksgiving with the Mrs. and our cats. We're going to spend it tomorrow with the rest of the family. 

It is because it's an American holiday, yes but what I mean is the meaning behind it doesn't justify why only the US celebrates and Canada as well a little earlier. When it comes to things like holidays and celebrations though I guess it's down to the government on what happens and when and knowing the UK government I can honestly see why they wouldn't, they are just spoil sports. I did read that apparently the UK did not have to be thankful for their new land whereas the US did, however, thanksgiving is about what you are thankful for now and everyone all over the world is thankful for something and at the same time.. I guess we are all thankful for our Country otherwise where would we be now? 

Canada's Thanksgiving is different from America's Thanksgiving. America started celebrating it because it was the day the Pilgrims and Indians came together. Our former President, President Abraham Lincoln, declared it was a holiday to be celebrated every November.

Not too sure on why Canada celebrates it. I think it's just to give thanks. But I don't know why Britain wouldn't celebrate it at all since Canada celebrates it.