Register Now
fantanoice

Dreamcast

Did you ever own or play a Dreamcast? What were some of your favourite games on it? 

I picked one up recently but haven't played it much yet. I've grabbed Shenmue 1 and 2 which I'm excited to try before the third installment comes out. There are a few other titles like Skies of Arcadia that I want to try out as well. 

How about you? What were your Dreamcast experiences? 

I got one a few months ago when Gamestop was doing a deal. I was able to get a console, 4 controllers, and a couple of VMUs for a really good price. I also picked up a tremor pack later.

So far I also haven't messed with it too much. I did buy (and beat) Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles since the DC version is the best one. Aside from that, I also burned a couple of discs: a Gameshark disc and a VMU manager disc. I also tried to get VGA output running to my TV using a cheap cord, but it doesn't work on my main TV which lacks the VGA port. I may need to get a VGA box eventually, but I'll have to stick with composite for now.

Eventually I'm going to try out some more games. Shenmue and Power Stone for sure.

I never got hands on the console. However I do manage to play some of the games of dreamcast on the emulator. So thats one way I managed to enjoy it. There used to be some of the games like sonic and mario which were fun to play on dreamcast. Obviously this classic box is not going to be revived but it was nice while it was selling in that time. 

I never played a Dreamcast. However my friend adores the console and would contend that the support it is his most loved ever. He's continually guiding me to get one and try a couple of games on it, but I have never got around to doing it yet.

Edited by xXInfectedXx

I had a Dreamcast but didn't do much with it and then it was suddenly sold without telling me and I just took it like a man... I don't even know what the hell was up with that.

Anyways, my favorite games on the system were Sonic Adventure, and Crazy Taxi

I have one and despite it being cool, and having some great game son it, it’s pretty overrated.

The underdog nature of it, the premature cancelation, and it being Sega’s last console has caused the fans to overinflate it.

I have one, but don't have it hooked up at the moment because there's just not enough HDMI ports available with buying more AV equipment. It was a shame that it didn't do better. Having played some games that had a presence on both the Dreamcast and PSX, the Dreamcast version was usually better. I loved Shenmue, Spider-Man, Looney Tunes Space Race, Skies of Arcadia, DOA2 and Jet Grind Radio, 

I have never owned a Dreamcast, but I have always wanted to add one to my collection. I know there's a lot of great games on this platform, and I wish more people supported it at release, because who knows what Sega could have done if it was a success. 

If I ever find one at a thrift store for a good price, I may pick one up. 

On 6/27/2022 at 3:37 PM, Kane99 said:

I have never owned a Dreamcast, but I have always wanted to add one to my collection. I know there's a lot of great games on this platform, and I wish more people supported it at release, because who knows what Sega could have done if it was a success. 

If I ever find one at a thrift store for a good price, I may pick one up. 

It's probably one of the most underrated consoles of all time. It was poor marketing puls poor timing that made it fail as they released this shortly before the PS2 was scheduled to drop and it didn't do as well as it should. Games like Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur are must-plays for this console.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's probably one of the most underrated consoles of all time. It was poor marketing puls poor timing that made it fail as they released this shortly before the PS2 was scheduled to drop and it didn't do as well as it should. Games like Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur are must-plays for this console.

Yeah it is, bust mostly in the US. I heard that it was still a popular console in Japan and other countries. Much like how the Sega Saturn was a bomb in the US, it still had a decent presence in Japan and other foreign countries. The US audience I guess just didn't care for it as much as Japan did. 

It would have been cool to see the Dreamcast succeed, because it could have been something bigger. 

It was ahead of its time but Segas choice to not use DVDs for their media so we all could also play them was a big mistake at the time was avery fun for all console. I never palted it though and so that's the last of it 😞 said - can maybe get hold of it..?