Register Now
kingpotato

Violence in videogames

Is there such thing as to much?

I'm in Love with violent video games, Mortal Kombat , GTA, Gears of war, God of war etc.|
But I remember playing Manhunt 2 on my PS2 back in the day and that game was to much for me, the violence on that game was creepy, I dont know how to describe it.

Let me know if you have ever played a video game where the violence made you uncomfortable or your opinion on the topic.

Violent video games never really seemed to bother me if I am honest even as I was growing up I never got squeamish or anything at the sight of the violent parts of the game. I remember once playing the game SAW quite a few years ago now and remembering back the movie and how much gore there was in that game I was very worried about playing it, thinking I would panic or become squeamish. I played through it, completed it 100% and didn't find it half as scary or squeamish as the movie itself. 

Having grown up without games like today, I'd say there is a lot of violence compared to 20 or 30 years ago.. But I do enjoy it.

Had to remind myself when driving that I can't just run over slow walker in a parking lot.. LOL No kidding..

18 minutes ago, xXInfectedXx said:

I have no problem with violence in video games. At the end of the day, it's virtual reality, not real life and you learn to separate from the two. Majority of people have knowledge between the right and wrong and won't do it in their real life.

My parents told me very early on that games and movies aren't real life and helped me make a distinction early on. So I've never had issues with violence, gore and blood or even sex in games.

11 hours ago, mont86 said:

Having grown up without games like today, I'd say there is a lot of violence compared to 20 or 30 years ago.. But I do enjoy it.

Had to remind myself when driving that I can't just run over slow walker in a parking lot.. LOL No kidding..

lol.

8 hours ago, Alyxx said:

My parents told me very early on that games and movies aren't real life and helped me make a distinction early on. So I've never had issues with violence, gore and blood or even sex in games.

I grew up in a somewhat hostile environment and came across a lot of these things as a kid and in my teenage years so you could say I was a bit "numb" to things like this in video games having witnessed the real thing.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:21 PM, Jayson said:

Video game violence doesn't bother me.  However, if it's in combo with some racist or other abominable theme I would.   An example might be some video game of animal cruelty or something.

It also depends on the context of the game, like if they are trying to depict a terrifying atmosphere in-game with a lot of detail and add such things, I wouldn't have a problem because I know it comes with the territory. It's when stuff like racism is being used for no other reason than to push an agenda, that's when I have a problem.

I don't have any problem with violence in games. It's not real life and similarly to movies, it doesn't cause any problems with people that play and watch them. The only time I have ever been uncomfortable with a game was the torture mission in Grand Theft Auto V. And even that, it was only the bit where you had to pull the guys tooth out with a wrench. I don't like things happening to teeth so that's the only reason I was uncomfortable 🤣 . I didn't really have a problem with what happened in the other parts of the mission.