Register Now
DylanC

Most influential game of all time?

Just now, Kane99 said:

It's mainly because of how easy it is to access. Anyone can play SMB, from a kid, to a grandma. The controls are near perfect, the graphics are simple, but effective and work for the time and even today. 

It's just a start of something that made sense and influenced so many more games to follow. Without SMB, I don't think we'd have a lot of the popular hit games of today, at least in terms of 2d side scrollers/platformers. 

They had a very good reason why they set up the video game like that and it's why the game got so many fans till date. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Without SMB, I don't think we'd have a lot of the popular hit games of today, at least in terms of 2d side scrollers/platformers. 

You're probably right about that. SMB was a pioneer in it's early days. In the NES/SNES era, SMB was leading the charge in side scrollers. It gave developers ideas they would have most likely never thought of.

It also played an integral role in rescuing gaming from the crash of 1983.

I'd go with Street fighter 2 anybody who grew up in the early 90 ies was all over that game, kids would start imitating various character moves (i know i did) there was a real hype surrounding that game, the fact that game has stayed relevant for 30 years says it all.

The whole cast of characters still to this day remain one of the most iconic gaming characters ever. Ask none gaming people what street fighter they mostlikely know that it is a video game.

When it comes to influential games of our generation, then it comes to do with the acceptance of the game. I think at this main point 'Elden Ring, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, TLOU, Horizon Forbidden West etc, are video games on the centre of attraction. 

On 3/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, The Blackangel said:

You're probably right about that. SMB was a pioneer in it's early days. In the NES/SNES era, SMB was leading the charge in side scrollers. It gave developers ideas they would have most likely never thought of.

It also played an integral role in rescuing gaming from the crash of 1983.

Yeah I remember it helped a lot. The gaming industry was thought to be dead after I think ET. That was like the final straw kinda. But SMB came out and showed that gaming wasn't dead, and it helped spark the gaming industry right back up.