Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long do you wait to replay a game?

How much time on average do you wait between finishing an amazing game and playing it again? Do you start again immediately? Or do you wait weeks? Months? Years?

Is there a period of time which you’ve found is ideal in terms of keeping the game fresh/getting more out of it the second time around?

I feel like when I finish Bioshock Infinite (currently on my first playthrough), I will just want to dive right back into it again. But I don’t want to do it too soon/often and “get used to” the amazing environment.

Probably a few years until I remember nothing of the video game and want to replay it. But in games where you can play with different characters I can go with an instant replay. I remember in Making History: The Great War how I played with other countries straight after I have finished with the  previous one.

If I really liked the game, I will usually go back to it to replay it from the start within a day. There have been some games where I loved the game so much, that I played through the campaign twice in one day, and I am talking about a game that should normally take a half a day or more to play straight through.

If it is a video game I really enjoyed playing, I would go back within in the day and re-play it from start to finish. Generally speaking, it's best to wait a year or whenever I've forgotten before returning to the same video game so the repetition doesn't get boring and dull and there is a still an element of excitiment to the gameplay.

Depends on how good the game was, but I usually replay stuff around a year later. Another factor is if there’s a drought of the game’s particular genre, then there’s more chance I’ll replay it sooner. For example, I want to replay The Evil Within 2 (best horror game I’ve played in ages) so will probably play it sometime next year, especially if there’s no good horror games around.

Usually after I have completed a game I tend to put the game away and not go back to it for many years if at all. I feel that the amount of time it takes me to complete a game, going back to it I usually have no desire to do unless of course there is more for me to complete after completing the main campaign. For me to spend hours completing a campaign I think brings relief more than "I want to go back and play that all over again!" 

Depends on the game of course. Some games no matter how amazing they are I never replay. Others I start again immediately after finishing for the first time. I'm currently on my third Cyberpunk 2077 playthrough without any pause in between.

I like to replay games as soon as I finish them and not get bored. With discovery comes frustration then the feeling of accomplishment. With knowledge of the game comes proficiency.

For example, when I first beat Batman Arkham Asylum, I was happy about it. I wasn't the badest Dark Knight I could be though. No problem, I jumped right back in and dominated from the start, picking up trophies that I easily missed the first time as I focused on learning other mechanics. But now? I know the hiding places, the tricks, the combo moves, the timing and all the things that make the Batman the Batman in game. As a result, my game experience is improved.

It depends on the game. Some games I will never go back to, even though I played them for hours on end. Probably won't go back to GTA III anytime soon, as I think I went through the game 3 times already. Though, I haven't played it in maybe 10-15 years. 

I was thinking about playing GTA IV again, as I haven't played the story since 2010 probably. I wonder what it'll be like going back to the online mode.