Register Now
StaceyPowers

Bioshock Infinite Blew My Mind

I just wrapped up my initial playthrough of Bioshock Infinite, and have thought about it pretty much nonstop ever since.

SPOILERS below. Just a few reasons this game blew my mind:

-A logical, well-reasoned story about the multiverse (I feel most people get the concept wrong)

-A different take on the nature and value of choice than you usually see in arguments about choice v. determinism.

-An unbelievably atmospheric setting. Columbia feels “real” to me still, like it’s hidden somewhere, just on the other side of a portal to another world.

-Amazing character development and some of the most brilliant “show-don’t-tell” writing I’ve ever seen. By the end of the game, you know that in a pretty literal way, Booker has been battling his own demons in his own personal hell through the entire game. The setting tells the story of the man.

-Seriously inspirational. The ending ripped my heart out, but at the same time, I loved it as an achievement of ultimate redemption. 

If you’ve played the game, please share your thoughts!

SPOILERS BELOW!

——————————

IIRC, one particular twist at the end (where Booker’s revealed to be an alternate realities’ version of Comstock and vice versa) was mindbendingly awesome! Been a while, but I remember loving the narrative of Bioshock Infinite a lot.

Edited by DylanC

SPOILERS BELOW AS WELL!!!

I remember that scene with Anna as a baby where her pinky gets stuck in the wall. I was sitting there, shocked about what the guys have made of this story. One of the best experiences in the industry for sure! Can't wait to see the trilogy on Switch some day 😄

13 hours ago, DylanC said:

SPOILERS BELOW!

——————————

IIRC, one particular twist at the end (where Booker’s revealed to be an alternate realities’ version of Comstock and vice versa) was mindbendingly awesome! Been a while, but I remember loving the narrative of Bioshock Infinite a lot.

I first suspected this the very first time Comstock talked directly to Booker and referenced so much about his life as if he had been there. And then I kept thinking as the game moved forward, "Wow, this place sure does seem to oddly revolve around Booker's past sins. It's like it all exists just to torment him." And by the end, it all made sense.

6 hours ago, Katri Marcell said:

SPOILERS BELOW AS WELL!!!

I remember that scene with Anna as a baby where her pinky gets stuck in the wall. I was sitting there, shocked about what the guys have made of this story. One of the best experiences in the industry for sure! Can't wait to see the trilogy on Switch some day 😄

Yeah, I got really emotionally invested in the story and characters.

***SPOILERS***

I just finished the game during the weekend. Oh my god this game was awesome, I liked the little details with the Lutteces where they always knew if Booker will get heads or tails 122 times because it was not the first time that they tried to save Elizabeth, or how they knew he will get the ball 77 in the raffle, Constants and Variables. The ending was sad, I feel that Elizabeth's death in Burial at Sea was the universe's way of creating balance, Elizabeth only existed because of father Comstock and since she got rid of the "last" version of him on Rapture there was no reason for her to continue to exist.

Edited by kingpotato

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

***SPOILERS***

I just finished the game during the weekend. Oh my god this game was awesome, I liked the little details with the Lutteces where they always knew if Booker will get heads or tails 122 times because it was not the first time that they tried to save Elizabeth, or how they knew he will get the ball 77 in the raffle, Constants and Variables. The ending was sad, I feel that Elizabeth's death in Burial at Sea was the universe's way of creating balance, Elizabeth only existed because of father Comstock and since she got rid of the "last" version of him on Rapture there was no reason for her to continue to exist.

Hah, ignore my questions on the other thread about whether you finished. Obviously you did :)

I'm glad you loved the game. I feel it's a masterpiece on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. I felt like the ending of Infinite was so victorious--like by cutting off that unwanted set of branches from the multiversal tree through sheer will, Booker became a FACT, a constant, without the Comstock variable. I actually believe in a multiverse and am sort of obsessed with trying to be a constant and to value the likely constants in my life across time and space--so I guess you could say for me the game was almost like a religious experience. 

Burial at Sea kind of bothered me because I felt like it erased the messages of hope and redemption of Infinite somewhat--Elizabeth seems doomed to repeat the mistakes of her lineage, even though they erased that lineage, etc. And ironically, I think that version of Comstock she murdered was actually on a redemption path toward becoming more like Booker. But I really like what you said here--that in a way, doing so was what erased her and created balance--indeed, her existence did seem to be an anomaly, and it kind of makes sense she'd wipe herself out in that fashion. Still, it would have been nice if our heroes hadn't been consumed by all that self-loathing in the end. For all their flaws, they were remarkable people. Comstock was a monster on an incredible scale--so the fact that Booker managed to beat him means that the good in him towered even higher than his demons, and the same was true for Elizabeth in Infinite. I guess I just wished she'd been able to see that in Burial at Sea. Still, her act in saving Sally did a wonderful job tying full circle to the thematic elements of the first two games and the protection of the innocents as what makes a life worth living--and what makes it worth sacrificing if necessary.

21 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Hah, ignore my questions on the other thread about whether you finished. Obviously you did 🙂

I'm glad you loved the game. I feel it's a masterpiece on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. I felt like the ending of Infinite was so victorious--like by cutting off that unwanted set of branches from the multiversal tree through sheer will, Booker became a FACT, a constant, without the Comstock variable. I actually believe in a multiverse and am sort of obsessed with trying to be a constant and to value the likely constants in my life across time and space--so I guess you could say for me the game was almost like a religious experience. 

Burial at Sea kind of bothered me because I felt like it erased the messages of hope and redemption of Infinite somewhat--Elizabeth seems doomed to repeat the mistakes of her lineage, even though they erased that lineage, etc. And ironically, I think that version of Comstock she murdered was actually on a redemption path toward becoming more like Booker. But I really like what you said here--that in a way, doing so was what erased her and created balance--indeed, her existence did seem to be an anomaly, and it kind of makes sense she'd wipe herself out in that fashion. Still, it would have been nice if our heroes hadn't been consumed by all that self-loathing in the end. For all their flaws, they were remarkable people. Comstock was a monster on an incredible scale--so the fact that Booker managed to beat him means that the good in him towered even higher than his demons, and the same was true for Elizabeth in Infinite. I guess I just wished she'd been able to see that in Burial at Sea. Still, her act in saving Sally did a wonderful job tying full circle to the thematic elements of the first two games and the protection of the innocents as what makes a life worth living--and what makes it worth sacrificing if necessary.

I feel that the ending was sad due to Booker's sacrifice, I dont think he wanted to die, even less for that reason. At the ending I though that Elizabeth had at least a good closing, but then Burial at Sea happened xD. I liked how they tied Infinite to the first game, it was Elizabeth who solved the Big Daddy issue and it was her who paved the way for the first Bioshock game, but a sad ending as well, I didnt expect her to die that way it makes me hate Fontaine even more, but it also makes me appreciate Jack more since he was the one who ultimately saved Sally.