Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video Games and Pain Relief

There have been a number of studies that have shown increased pain tolerance while playing video games, i.e. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-games-may-help-relieve-pain/

I notice I often feel less pain while playing video games than I do during other parts of the day (chronic pain sufferer here), though that could just be because it is late at night, which is the time of day I naturally feel best physically. 

I also know that nothing can distract me from pain, because I seem to be wired a bit differently than most folks in that respect. But I do think accomplishing video game tasks can produce a dopamine response, and I theorize this may also help reduce pain.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

This is true , I can speak from my own experience that playing videogames can reduce the pain
I had several surgeries as a kid and on all of them the recovery was painful, but playing videogames did help me out a lot to forget about the pain, I remember I used to play Smash brothers, Mario Kart,Wario world and Spongebob Battle for bikini bottom on my GC and for moments I was so immerse in the game that I totally forgot about the pain.

My opinion is distraction. If you're distracted, pain can tend lower or vanish throughout the distraction, tho' this is often associated with an temporary fix, not permanent. No info during this topic is factual, it's all opinion despite the fact that studies and analysis has taken place.

Edited by xXInfectedXx

On 12/12/2018 at 5:10 AM, xXInfectedXx said:

My opinion is distraction. If you're distracted, pain can tend lower or vanish throughout the distraction, tho' this is often associated with an temporary fix, not permanent. No info during this topic is factual, it's all opinion despite the fact that studies and analysis has taken place.

I agree with this guy 100%