Register Now
Shortie861

Favourite era in gaming?

What is your favourite era/generation in gaming?

I'm a big fan of the 32-bit era of gaming, the original xbox was a blast to play on but I also loved the 16-bit era and even 8-bit was great. I remember when me and my siblings were growing up we spent hours playing the Sega Master System and I spent countless hours playing games like Alex the Kidd. 🙂  I think each era in gaming is special in it's own way to me. I have fond memories from all of them.  What is your favorite era in gaming? 

Terrific question. I think the PS3/Xbox 360 era is my favourite (though if you ask me in a few years I may have changed my mind). With the rise of online multiplayer, the breakthrough of indie games into the mainstream and those incredible PS3 exclusives (The Last Of Us, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 and 3, Ni No Kuni, Journey etc) the PS3/360 era was an amazing time to be a gamer!

I agree with Katri. I love the current times we live in where we have access to more games from the past than ever, and also have an enormous indie scene that's more alive than ever, and tons of AAA titles that still offer really amazing experiences.

And having grown up in the 90's, I am a huge fan of the 16bit era of SNES, DOS and Sega MegaDrive. I just love how huge of a difference there was between systems then and how different games would feel on each system and how there just felt like more games were exclusive. You had games on Mega Drive that you would never find on a SNES and vice versa.

Edited by Alyxx

For me, it's middle 2000s. Incredible 3D Graphics and ongoing interaction on consoles while the GBA kept ancient fashioned 2D gaming lively in addition to huge amounts of extraordinary online multiplayer on a gaming computer. This isn't to say the 90's was a unforgettable period for retro gaming. 

I'm going to sound like I hate almost everyone here and I am a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. However, I love the Modern Era of gaming and the games we have gotten in the 8th generation of consoles. Sure, we have a lot of unhealthy and unethical business practices in games. However, we also saw magnificent works like God of War, Spider Man, Cuphead, The World Ends With You, Smash Bros, Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue CrossTag Battle, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Flinthook, Moonlighter, This is the Police II, alongside many, many more games both from AAA and indie developers.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, UleTheVee said:

I'm going to sound like I hate almost everyone here and I am a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. However, I love the Modern Era of gaming and the games we have gotten in the 8th generation of consoles. Sure, we have a lot of unhealthy and unethical business practices in games. However, we also saw magnificent works like God of War, Spider Man, Cuphead, The World Ends With You, Smash Bros, Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue CrossTag Battle, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Flinthook, Moonlighter, This is the Police II, alongside many, many more games both from AAA and indie developers.

Agree 110%

On 12/17/2018 at 3:10 AM, UleTheVee said:

Yeah. The graphics of games nowadays are really eye-catching and gameplay mechanics are way smoother than any other time I can remember in gaming.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:30 PM, Alyxx said:

Agree 110%

Most Definitely.

For me it has to be the start of the Mobile based games. For example, mobile based mystery, scifi, platformer and horror based games can be good. You can also find that in this era the graphics is lot cleaner and more realistic. So it is lot more fun in the usage. So for this reason I find the era is lot better for the gaming. And it can be pretty good from this era onwards. I am not fan of 90s and 80s games of 32 bit or 8 bit games. 

1 hour ago, mont86 said:

Love the current era.. graphics.

I totally agree. Back in the days, the cutscenes used to look amazing but when you got to the actual in-game graphics, the characters were all blocky and pixelated. The in-game graphics have caught up to the cutscenes now.

I think from this era onward in 2020.. I think we are going to see a lot better content. And people are going to expect more quality. Like they are feeling like real life. That level of graphics needs to be there for the gaming world. I can tell you that this era is only going to get better as time comes. I am not sure though how things would be any easier in that context for game developers.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:30 AM, skyfire said:

I think from this era onward in 2020.. I think we are going to see a lot better content. And people are going to expect more quality. Like they are feeling like real life. That level of graphics needs to be there for the gaming world. I can tell you that this era is only going to get better as time comes. I am not sure though how things would be any easier in that context for game developers.

I want 4k to be the gaming industry standard within 3 years because we have now mastered 1080p gaming so that the price can come down.