Register Now
StaceyPowers

What would be the worst thing about losing optical discs?

Probably not being able to re-sell a game disc if you want to sell it.

20 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

To me it would be having no way to play old games you purchased on disc again even if backwards compatibility would otherwise allow it.

In a perfect world this issue should theoretically be moot as buying a game digitally *should* allow access to future versions of the game. Granted, it doesn't happen all the time, but the technology is already here to do that. For example, I bought Journey digitally on PS3 and it unlocked the digital PS4 version for free (about a year or so later). This also happened to the games Flow and Flower. Sony are pretty good with this sort of thing via their Cross-buy and Cross-save features. Whether companies will do these sort of consumer-friendly things going forward, well, that's the problem. Fair dos to Microsoft, though. They're doing some great things with BC on their consoles.

Edited by DylanC

Nothing is bad about physical copies becoming part of the past due to the following reasons. It's much more convenient in terms of just a few clicks and you've purchased the video game without leaving your bed/sofa. You'll never loose a digital copy as it's always kept in the virtual cloud incase you accidentally delete it. In comparison to physical, the video game won't ever get scratched which causes lag and unexpected freezes!

Edited by xXInfectedXx

Not being able to lend games to friends, not being able to resell, not being able to get the game if your internet is down. And worst of all, losing something to put on your shelf and show to friends. It's a scary move.

Edited by Alyxx

On 12/12/2018 at 12:57 PM, DylanC said:

Probably not being able to re-sell a game disc if you want to sell it.

In a perfect world this issue should theoretically be moot as buying a game digitally *should* allow access to future versions of the game. Granted, it doesn't happen all the time, but the technology is already here to do that. For example, I bought Journey digitally on PS3 and it unlocked the digital PS4 version for free (about a year or so later). This also happened to the games Flow and Flower. Sony are pretty good with this sort of thing via their Cross-buy and Cross-save features. Whether companies will do these sort of consumer-friendly things going forward, well, that's the problem. Fair dos to Microsoft, though. They're doing some great things with BC on their consoles.

Ah, I didn't even know it worked that way. Is that standard now, or is it still something that is pretty new?

On 12/14/2018 at 6:14 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Ah, I didn't even know it worked that way. Is that standard now, or is it still something that is pretty new?

It has been there for some time now from what I have been made aware. I can't say exactly when though since I never did buy a PS4.

12 minutes ago, Keranov said:

I guess that you won't be able to play some older games which you have. The game might be old but you like it and you want to play it.

But what if you find the optical disc and it has a scratch on it? lol. That is a heart stopper right there because you put the disc in and the device doesn't recognize it 😭