Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with sympathetic enemies

On 12/13/2018 at 7:42 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What videogames feature enemies you can easily feel sympathetic towards?

Gray Fox from the original Metal Gear Solid. He was a child soldier who was kidnapped by the CIA and experimented on. The particular experiment was to turn him into the perfect soldier - a warrior who would just be a walking killing machine without remorse. Of course, he was kept in a fluid-filled tank outside of battle to reset his memories and suppress his emotions. However, the project had a huge effect on his psyche when those memories and emotions started coming to the surface, constantly tormenting him to the point he started to beg for death. 

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Gray Fox from the original Metal Gear Solid. He was a child soldier who was kidnapped by the CIA and experimented on. The particular experiment was to turn him into the perfect soldier - a warrior who would just be a walking killing machine without remorse. Of course, he was kept in a fluid-filled tank outside of battle to reset his memories and suppress his emotions. However, the project had a huge effect on his psyche when those memories and emotions started coming to the surface, constantly tormenting him to the point he started to beg for death. 

An awesome, detailed response :) 

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

An awesome, detailed response 🙂

Your welcome. His story always touched me because it was, in the final battle of the original Metal Gear Solid, he redeemed himself by sacrificing himself to help the protagonist Solid Snake to defeat Metal Gear Rex. Raiden, one of the protagonists of the Metal Gear franchise went through a similar experience but he learned to overcome his demons and contribute to the welfare of the human race. Gray Fox never got a chance to ever choose how he wanted to live his life - Instead he was a pawn up until the final moments of his life.

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Your welcome. His story always touched me because it was, in the final battle of the original Metal Gear Solid, he redeemed himself by sacrificing himself to help the protagonist Solid Snake to defeat Metal Gear Rex. Raiden, one of the protagonists of the Metal Gear franchise went through a similar experience but he learned to overcome his demons and contribute to the welfare of the human race. Gray Fox never got a chance to ever choose how he wanted to live his life - Instead he was a pawn up until the final moments of his life.

I've never played the series, but it sounds very interesting hearing you talk about it. I can't say no to a story of redemption.

6 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

When you hear me go on about the Metal Gear series is because it is full of interesting characters and the story is ridiculously deep.

I can certainly relate to a love of deep stories and characters. I recently finished Bioshock Infinite and for that reason haven't been able to shut up about it since.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:23 PM, Jayson said:

I think every villain has a story, but it might not be enough to make me not destroy them!  I mean, what villain - as in anywhere - even out of games - doesn't have some excuse?

There are some villains that have always had an urge to create destruction and chaos just for the heck of it while there are some that were created by the same system that was supposed to nurture them and turn them into functional individuals that could contribute positively to their society.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:13 AM, killamch89 said:

There are some villains that have always had an urge to create destruction and chaos just for the heck of it while there are some that were created by the same system that was supposed to nurture them and turn them into functional individuals that could contribute positively to their society.

Yeah, I can see the 2nd going on with kids of over-protective or over-parenting parents. However, the 1st doesn't exist - as I think generally kids would grow up good - if simply the environment didn't mess them up.

I remember a level in Tomb Raider 2 from 1997 where you come across a village of monks. If you attack them they'll become hostile but if you actively avoid shooting them they will aid you. I found it a really cool detail.

4 hours ago, Jayson said:

Yeah, I can see the 2nd going on with kids of over-protective or over-parenting parents. However, the 1st doesn't exist - as I think generally kids would grow up good - if simply the environment didn't mess them up.

Actually, I know quite a few individuals like that when I was growing although they are no longer living because their actions caught up with them.