Register Now
Jerlene

YouTube says people watched 50 billion hours of gaming videos this year

The head of global gaming on Youtube recently announced that over 200 million people watched gaming videos on Youtube, equating to 50 billion hours for the year. Did you contribute to those hours? How many hours of gaming related videos did you watch in the past year? I watched a total of 0 to be completely honest. I don't see the point in watching other people game when I can go and game myself. But obviously not everyone feels that way. In fact, Youtube allows users to sponsor their favourite gamers for $4.99 a month and has said that this helped contribute to some of those hours watched. Do you or have you sponsored anyone? 

The funny thing is that YouTube once created a separated standalone app exclusively for Gaming videos and it was closed recently after it failed to get a decent audience.
The only Gaming videos I watch are reviews for games I want to purchase , I agree I dont see the point of watching other people playing video games just because.

On 12/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, DC said:

The number of hours consumed with continue to increase year over year. YouTube Gaming is here to stay.

I agree totally.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:09 PM, kingpotato said:

The funny thing is that YouTube once created a separated standalone app exclusively for Gaming videos and it was closed recently after it failed to get a decent audience.
The only Gaming videos I watch are reviews for games I want to purchase , I agree I dont see the point of watching other people playing video games just because.

People watch these videos for all kinds of reasons though such as to learn tips and tricks when approaching certain situations in a video game, to learn more about a particular video game that they wanted to purchase but to see the actual gameplay mechanics or it could be for relaxation - it sounds weird right? Yet I have heard some people actually state they watch these videos to relax.

I actually didn't watch that much gaming videos in 2018 actually. It would be interesting to see what the statistic was like for 2017 because I definitely contributed to that. But this year, I watched a lot less gaming videos, the majority of them being either early gameplay videos or trailers. I did also watch a few videos on certain games by YouTubers like Vanoss but that's it. I've just been too busy this year to have the time to watch gaming and even if I did, I just think that personally I've slightly become bored of watching others play 

40 minutes ago, DarthHazard said:

I actually didn't watch that much gaming videos in 2018 actually. It would be interesting to see what the statistic was like for 2017 because I definitely contributed to that. But this year, I watched a lot less gaming videos, the majority of them being either early gameplay videos or trailers. I did also watch a few videos on certain games by YouTubers like Vanoss but that's it. I've just been too busy this year to have the time to watch gaming and even if I did, I just think that personally I've slightly become bored of watching others play 

I agree mostly with what you said as in I hardly have time to watch somebody else game unless I am trying to learn something from it.

I think amount of people getting into streaming has been on rise. With twitch and other streaming services. I think it would only increase with people streaming almost every thing. Like say classroom event and the road stuff. All those things would be streamed for sure. I think it'd be reasonable to say that in near future gaming videos would be more in demand too with new titles coming every now and then.