Register Now
DylanC

PS4 outsells PS3 sales

PS3 wasn't a big hit for Sony though, at least in terms of early sales. The XBox 360 was the big king of that generation. But obviously Sony had a big success with the PS4 and the XBox One hasn't really done well this generation so the tables turned.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, Alyxx said:

PS3 wasn't a big hit for Sony though, at least in terms of early sales. The XBox 360 was the big king of that generation. But obviously Sony had a big success with the PS4 and the XBox One hasn't really done well this generation so the tables turned.

You mean normalcy had returned lol. The PS2 dominated the Xbox but the PS3 was a major slip-up for Sony.

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

You mean normalcy had returned lol. The PS2 dominated the Xbox but the PS3 was a major slip-up for Sony.

Yeah pretty much. Though maybe we'll see MIcrosoft dominating the next cycle again.

16 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Yeah pretty much. Though maybe we'll see MIcrosoft dominating the next cycle again.

With the Nintendo Switch out, that's probably not going to happen again lol. It'll now be between Sony and Nintendo and Nintendo are wrecking Sony - for once.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:33 PM, Alyxx said:

I would have to agree. I had an Xbox 360 and so did most of the people from my school actually. So it's not at all surprising that the PlayStation 4 has outsold the PlayStation 3. It helped that the PlayStation 4 was considered the better console compared to the Xbox One when they were first announced (the main reason why me and my friends moved over to the PlayStation 4). 

12 minutes ago, DarthHazard said:

I would have to agree. I had an Xbox 360 and so did most of the people from my school actually. So it's not at all surprising that the PlayStation 4 has outsold the PlayStation 3. It helped that the PlayStation 4 was considered the better console compared to the Xbox One when they were first announced (the main reason why me and my friends moved over to the PlayStation 4). 

Microsoft also did a lot of bad marketing with the XBox One. Bundling it with the Kinect at first, and saying it was "impossible to use without it" made it pretty pricey, and a lot of marketing at first focused on it more as a home media center and something you could watch sports on while gaming.

The fact they also mentioned discs could no longer be shared and it required a constant online connection also soured the deal for most gamers. Granted they went back on these decisions later but that, and the lack of exclusives I think has lead to the low sales of the XBox One.

4 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Microsoft also did a lot of bad marketing with the XBox One. Bundling it with the Kinect at first, and saying it was "impossible to use without it" made it pretty pricey, and a lot of marketing at first focused on it more as a home media center and something you could watch sports on while gaming.

The fact they also mentioned discs could no longer be shared and it required a constant online connection also soured the deal for most gamers. Granted they went back on these decisions later but that, and the lack of exclusives I think has lead to the low sales of the XBox One.

I remember that whole saga and I think you forgot the part where they also said the Kinect would be constantly recording you. Microsoft is infamous for shooting themselves in the foot - with Microsoft there is never two consistent releases, one is very good and most consumers buy into the second one only to be sold an absolute mess. Take the Windows 10 updates for example, after one uneventful update, the next update comes with a bug that deletes your files!

I totally forgot about all the bad decisions they made with the Xbox One at the start. I remember the Kinect issue being massive because people didn't like that they might be tracked at home. Not being able to share discs will always be a massive mistake and it was a surprise that they tried going down that route. I can't remember if another developer tried it and it failed badly. It would have ruined the ability to trade in your games or even return games.

40 minutes ago, DarthHazard said:

I totally forgot about all the bad decisions they made with the Xbox One at the start. I remember the Kinect issue being massive because people didn't like that they might be tracked at home. Not being able to share discs will always be a massive mistake and it was a surprise that they tried going down that route. I can't remember if another developer tried it and it failed badly. It would have ruined the ability to trade in your games or even return games.

it certainly made me more glad when they backed out of those practices. However, it was a case of too little too late for that.