Register Now
Alyxx

25 years of DOOM

Doom, the FPS that helped popularize the genre way back in December 1993 has just turned 25 years old. To celebrate I've decided to give it a review and discuss just what made Doom such a groundbreaking title. You can check it out here: https://www.vgr.com/doom-25th-anniversary-review/

How will you be celebrating the 25th anniversary of what could easily be considered the father of the FPS genre?

Wow! I didn't know it was around for that long. This is one of my all time favourite games. My dad gave this to me in the early nineties and it got me hooked to shooting games. I was addicted to DOOM though. I would go straight to my computer when I got home from school and played it till my parents yelled for me to do my homework. lol I'm going to GameStop soon so I can get it for PS3 or a newer PC version. I've only ever played it on PC so I'm good either way. Best game ever though.

16 hours ago, Jerlene said:

Wow! I didn't know it was around for that long. This is one of my all time favourite games. My dad gave this to me in the early nineties and it got me hooked to shooting games. I was addicted to DOOM though. I would go straight to my computer when I got home from school and played it till my parents yelled for me to do my homework. lol I'm going to GameStop soon so I can get it for PS3 or a newer PC version. I've only ever played it on PC so I'm good either way. Best game ever though.

The BFG Edition of Doom 3 comes with Doom and Doom 2 for PC and PS3. Recommend picking it up if you want the classics on a modern system without much hassle.

I never really got into the Doom series. It's pretty amazing that it's turned 25 years old though. Not too many franchises ever get to see that age before they die off into obscurity. 🙂 I might have to try the original Doom games sometime. 🙂 I do enjoy FPS games so  I might have to try Doom sometime. I know you can get it on pretty much any device nowadays. I heard you could even get it on a calculator back in the day! Now that is amazing. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Shortie861 said:

I never really got into the Doom series. It's pretty amazing that it's turned 25 years old though. Not too many franchises ever get to see that age before they die off into obscurity. 🙂 I might have to try the original Doom games sometime. 🙂 I do enjoy FPS games so  I might have to try Doom sometime. I know you can get it on pretty much any device nowadays. I heard you could even get it on a calculator back in the day! Now that is amazing. 🙂

Yeah, LGR on YouTube actually did a video on playing Doom on a calculator for those interested.

2 minutes ago, Shortie861 said:

That looks so bad but I'd imagine it was way ahead of it's time back in the day! I remember using those calculators when I was in school. 🙂 They were stupid expensive! 

And still are! Which is fascinating considering how obsolete they are... lol

13 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I'm pretty sure DOOM can run in a freaking sewing machine at this point

People have run Doom on ATMs so yeah would not surprise me. Anything that has a display and a CPU is fair game it seems.