Register Now
StaceyPowers

Puzzles in Video Games

Do you enjoy puzzles in video games? Obviously I know a lot of people do, considering there are whole games which are puzzle-based. 

I've enjoyed puzzle-based games myself, though not too often. I liked Myst way back in the mists of time, but most of the time these days I just seem to find puzzles in video games frustrating and tedious. Actually, they were often tedious and frustrating in Myst as well. It just makes me wonder if anyone finds them relaxing or exciting. For my part, I'm far more likely to want to rage-quit over a puzzle I can't grasp than a boss I can't defeat.

Those computer puzzles in Fallout games drive me crazy for example. I'm stubborn though, so I will try repeatedly to hack a terminal until I get it. But it makes me angry the whole time.

I do enjoy a well designed puzzle in my video games, but the problem is many puzzles in games these days aren't very well designed. I think that's why I love Limbo and Inside so much; mainly because most of the puzzles in those games were incredibly well designed and thoughtful. 

I like puzzles for sure, both when they are included well into an RPG or even games that are purely puzzles.  For example, I think the first God of War had awesome puzzles, just hard enough but nothing you were stuck on forever, the sequels went a bit away from that and focused more on the action, which was fine but I liked the puzzles in the original.  Also, I enjoyed some of Skyrim's puzzles although they were fairly easy.  And Portal 2 is a great game, and all puzzles.  

8 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I can't get entangled with puzzles, it's not my thing, when though I do cross some tough puzzles during some difficult adventure games, but I've never felt happy crossing the puzzle. 

Seriously - I have actually tried to get used to playing puzzle games but it's something that's very frustrating for me most times. 

I hate it when I encounter puzzles via video game I find interesting. But if it's some I can pass without much trials, then I'll move on with the game, but if it's simply confusing and hard to beat, I'll simply drop down from playing the game. 

1 hour ago, Head_Hunter said:

Some action-adventure games have puzzles, and most times their puzzles are quite difficult. Making the game being boring at some point, Human Fall Flat is one example of that. 

I don't mind a bit of difficulty in puzzles but when it's like finding different items across multiple realms just to solve a single puzzle, that's where I draw the line.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I don't mind a bit of difficulty in puzzles but when it's like finding different items across multiple realms just to solve a single puzzle, that's where I draw the line.

😂, That's how it should be, no need of finding different items just to complete a puzzle via any game. I wouldn't go further with such game. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Puzzle video games aren't what I'm keen to playing most of the time unless I don't have any other playing choice but to stick with playing it till I have good alternative. 

Their is no how I'll be running out of games to play which will force me playing all-round puzzle game that has nothing to do with adventure, action, horror video games. 

2 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

Their is no how I'll be running out of games to play which will force me playing all-round puzzle game that has nothing to do with adventure, action, horror video games. 

It's something that's part of some games that you can't really do without not playing the puzzles that comes with the game. It's just like the ones that are in Tomb Raider.