Register Now
kingpotato

Sonic Franchise

It makes me a little sad that most recent games for Sonic are average or bad, I remember playing Sonic 2 with my cousins on the Genesis and as of today its still a great game.
Sonic has been in many game genres in the last decade, from being a Werewolf, having a sword an air board or even a speed boat. I cant really remember a good Sonic game from this past generation except maybe the ones with the Olympic games with Mario.
What's your opinion on the Sonic Franchise ? Have you played any of the latest released games from the last couple of years ? or will you rather stick with the Classics ?

22 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

It makes me a little sad that most recent games for Sonic are average or bad, I remember playing Sonic 2 with my cousins on the Genesis and as of today its still a great game.
Sonic has been in many game genres in the last decade, from being a Werewolf, having a sword an air board or even a speed boat. I cant really remember a good Sonic game from this past generation except maybe the ones with the Olympic games with Mario.
What's your opinion on the Sonic Franchise ? Have you played any of the latest released games from the last couple of years ? or will you rather stick with the Classics ?

The common thread you'll see among many people is that Sonic Games are inconsistent.

However, Sonic Mania / Generations / Boom: Shattered Crystal & Fire & Ice / Unleashed / Colors have proven that 3D sonic games can work and be excellent. It's just a matter of having an adequate sense of taste. Heck, 1/3 of Sonic 06 is good in terms of level design and exploration and if you have a doubt about that, you can go and play the fan re-creation demos.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:25 PM, kingpotato said:

I still remember Sonic on the Sega Genesis as well - how far gaming has come! It was one of my favorite game as a kid but after a while, I lost interest in Sonic because the gameplay was kind of repetitive. The replayability factor of said games was basically non-existent.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, kingpotato said:

so Sonic looks like shit in the new movie coming up 😆 there goes the Sonic franchise revival. (Jim Carrey looks cool as eggman though)

Sonic looks like some kind of furry were-monster on 2 feet than a hedgehog.

After the movie release, I am sure there will be dedicated fanbase from this generation. The way the animation was created. I kind of hated it. And I don't think the franchise cares for our opinion on that design though. 

On 5/22/2019 at 10:43 AM, skyfire said:

After the movie release, I am sure there will be dedicated fanbase from this generation. The way the animation was created. I kind of hated it. And I don't think the franchise cares for our opinion on that design though. 

Well they did say that they are going to fix Sonic's animation.

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

I have no idea how people can deal with the pikachu and sonic's design. I mean they are not even canon looking or even closer. I just hope that they don't mess it up even further. 

Pikachu's design was actually very good, the design and detail is great. Have you seen the movie ? You should give it a try, its not an oscar winning movie but its definitely funny and worth it.
Why you dont like Pikachu's design? I mean the movie is realistic enough and they didnt messed up the character like in Sonic's movie, which by the way they are currently fixing and they even delayed the movie until 2020 to give more time to the producers and designers.

Pikachu looks perfectly fine to me. Which is far more than I can say about Movie Sonic.

I'm glad they decided to change it. Hopefully something much closer to either of the major Sonic designs from the games, but I'll accept something resembling Boom Sonic too.

... Just so long as they fix the shoes. Give him the shoes he's always had, or at least something similar that doesn't fully compromise the aesthetic. I'll accept the Adventure 2 soap shoes over those things his original movie design was wearing. Although to be honest, the soap shoes looked pretty neat, actually. I wish they brought those back sometimes.

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Pikachu's design was actually very good, the design and detail is great. Have you seen the movie ? You should give it a try, its not an oscar winning movie but its definitely funny and worth it.
Why you dont like Pikachu's design? I mean the movie is realistic enough and they didnt messed up the character like in Sonic's movie, which by the way they are currently fixing and they even delayed the movie until 2020 to give more time to the producers and designers.

Not yet. I may skip the movie. The reason being I am fan of the 2D pikachu design. And this fury 3D design kind of gets me. I only like the "how to train your dragon" as 3D animated canon. Otherwise pokemons look gross in 3D. 

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

Not yet. I may skip the movie. The reason being I am fan of the 2D pikachu design. And this fury 3D design kind of gets me. I only like the "how to train your dragon" as 3D animated canon. Otherwise pokemons look gross in 3D. 

shame

The Sonic franchise has been really hit and miss since pretty much the Sonic Adventure era.

Some of my recent favourites include Sonic Colours, Sonic Generations and Sonic Mania. There are a lot of modern titles you can skip though unless you're a hardcore fan.

Personally my absolute favourite game in the franchise is Sonic 3 & Knuckles.