Register Now
fantanoice

Nintendo 64 Mini

Do you think there will be a Nintendo 64 Mini like the NES and SNES? Would you want one? 

Nintendo 64 was my favourite console so I'd definitely like one with all my top games on it. The problem is, so many classics were Rare titles and not having them would be a huge miss. 

Also the controller is a lot bigger than NES / SNES, with an analogue stick that pokes out. That would make it difficult to make a 'mini' version. I guess you could use a thumbstick but I don't know what other options you'd have. 

What are your thoughts? 

Yes, I think the N64 Classic is not only likely, but inevitable. It just might take a year or two just to make sure there are plenty of NES and SNES Classics in circulation before moving on to the next one. Also the longer they wait, the cheaper the technology gets. 

Losing out on nearly every Rare game will be a bummer, but I feel like they can still work around that and build a decent library using mostly first-party games. I'm thinking they could do a console with maybe 16 games and it would be quite appealing.

• Super Smash Bros
  • Super Mario 64
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mario Party 2
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Star Fox 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Pokemon Snap
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • 3 third party games - maybe Bomberman 64, Harvest Moon 64, and Castlevania Legacy of Darkness?

You could also consider Yoshi's Story, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Sin & Punishment, and several others.

Controller-wise, I think they should pack-in 2 controllers. That way you can do multiplayer right out of the box, which was a big emphasis for the 64. It's going to be a big box, but whatever. That also reduces the supply strain on people trying to get their hands on people trying to get their 3rd and 4th controllers.

Price-wise I think they could aim for $80 to $100. Spare controllers could come in at maybe $15 to $18 a pop. 

I dont think there will be a N64 mini, the NES and SNES mini's purpose was to get some holiday sales for Nintendo between the Wii U and Nintendo Switch time gap.
Maybe some N64 games will be ported on the Switch on the Nintendo shop.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:05 PM, fantanoice said:

Do you think there will be a Nintendo 64 Mini like the NES and SNES? Would you want one? 

Nintendo 64 was my favourite console so I'd definitely like one with all my top games on it. The problem is, so many classics were Rare titles and not having them would be a huge miss. 

Also the controller is a lot bigger than NES / SNES, with an analogue stick that pokes out. That would make it difficult to make a 'mini' version. I guess you could use a thumbstick but I don't know what other options you'd have. 

What are your thoughts? 

4 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

And then Reggie killed the rumor too

I would love to see this. 🙂 I think the list of games posted previously is a solid choice. 🙂  It would certainly be interesting to see Nintendo put this out to compete with the Playstation Classic.  Which I hear isn't doing too well right now. I think an N64 classic/mini would sell like hotcakes much like the NES and SNES mini before it. 🙂

On 12/19/2018 at 2:38 PM, Shortie861 said:

I would love to see this. 🙂 I think the list of games posted previously is a solid choice. 🙂  It would certainly be interesting to see Nintendo put this out to compete with the Playstation Classic.  Which I hear isn't doing too well right now. I think an N64 classic/mini would sell like hotcakes much like the NES and SNES mini before it. 🙂

probably even more because of games like Goldeneye, Mario 64, Mario go-kart, Super Smash Brothers and Perfect Dark.

I'll start out by saying, I don't think we'll see an n64 mini anytime soon, possibly ever, but I would love it if they did decide to release one.

As for a list of games, i know many of these games made by Rare which is now owned by Microsoft, so it makes them even more unlikely but not impossible, here is a list of 30 games i think should or could be on the N64 classic.The ones that are in bold are games I'd consider a long shot for licensing reasons. If something could be worked out with Microsoft / Rare then Goldeneye 007 might would be the only real longshot on this list.

• Super Mario 64
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Star Fox 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Perfect Dark
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Mario Party
  • Mario Party 2
  • Mario Party 3
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Tennis
  • Paper Mario
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Blast Corps
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Wave Race 64
  • Excitebike 64
  • Pilot Wings 64
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Yoshi's Story
  • F-Zero X
Edited by Excalibur

Considering Conker's content, if an N64 mini was released there's no way Conker would be on it. Nintendo would be in so much shit it would take them 1000 years just to dig out of it. If they wanted to release an adults only Nintendo mini loaded with games only appropriate for adults, then that would be interesting to see. Other than Conker, I would love to see what they would come up with. I just hope they wouldn't add any games like Custer's Revenge.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Considering Conker's content, if an N64 mini was released there's no way Conker would be on it. Nintendo would be in so much shit it would take them 1000 years just to dig out of it. If they wanted to release an adults only Nintendo mini loaded with games only appropriate for adults, then that would be interesting to see. Other than Conker, I would love to see what they would come up with. I just hope they wouldn't add any games like Custer's Revenge.

Yeah, the whole thing is pretty unlikely as it is, but assuming they could work out something with Rare / Microsoft, then if Nintendo were to get in any hot water because of Conker's content Nintendo could always just say it was part of the deal with Microsoft or something like that, I agree though, they probably would try to leave it off to avoid any drama. But let's remember, the original Conker's Bad Fur Day was part of the Rare Replay collection that came out on Xbox One and there was also Live and Reloaded for original Xbox, so it has been re-released before. really it's just Nintendo's kid friendly image that would be the difference there, but anyway it's really all hypothetical, and i doubt any of it actually happens.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:05 PM, fantanoice said:

Also the controller is a lot bigger than NES / SNES, with an analogue stick that pokes out. That would make it difficult to make a 'mini' version.

I hadn't even thought about that. The controllers are a bit heavy and chunky but if they make the controller lighter or smaller then it won't feel like the original console. Not sure how would they proceed.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:33 AM, Excalibur said:

Yeah, the whole thing is pretty unlikely as it is, but assuming they could work out something with Rare / Microsoft, then if Nintendo were to get in any hot water because of Conker's content Nintendo could always just say it was part of the deal with Microsoft or something like that, I agree though, they probably would try to leave it off to avoid any drama.

The thing is that not including CBF while other rare games make it would also lead to drama, hahaha.

As for me, I don't think it is coming at all, and I pretty much think without Rareware I probably won't be that interested. I rather just get the real console and play that instead.