Register Now
Alexander.

Renting or Buying Video Games

7 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

What do you think is better? Buying or selling? I always buy. I cant recall the last time I rented instead of bought however that is because it feels strangely satisfying owning a collection of computer games on the shelf. 

It's definitely buying for me. I myself don't remember ever renting a game as well and I still have a final fantasy Playstation collection in a box somewhere in my apartment.

I always buy. I have never actually gone out and rented a video game because, for me, I want to own that game for a long time. I've never even given a thought to renting a game because it's just not for me. The type of games that I play, mostly open world games or online games, there's no point in just renting it out for a short period of time. My type of games are fun to play whenever and they never get boring so it's good to own them and be able to play anytime.

1 hour ago, DarthHazard said:

I always buy. I have never actually gone out and rented a video game because, for me, I want to own that game for a long time. I've never even given a thought to renting a game because it's just not for me. The type of games that I play, mostly open world games or online games, there's no point in just renting it out for a short period of time. My type of games are fun to play whenever and they never get boring so it's good to own them and be able to play anytime.

I agree because those are the kinds of games I tend to play as well - open world games and it takes you a while to really explore those worlds so it is better to buy.

Exactly. Not only does it take a while to fully explore the large maps, but it takes a long time to actually complete the whole game as well. Games like Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2 also have a huge amount of achievements that aren't always easy to get. For example, I'm trying to get 100% for Red Dead Redemption 2 and it involves a lot of difficult challenges that are extremely time consuming as well. So, yeah, you need a lot of time so it's always better to buy it and keep it.

20 hours ago, DarthHazard said:

Exactly. Not only does it take a while to fully explore the large maps, but it takes a long time to actually complete the whole game as well. Games like Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2 also have a huge amount of achievements that aren't always easy to get. For example, I'm trying to get 100% for Red Dead Redemption 2 and it involves a lot of difficult challenges that are extremely time consuming as well. So, yeah, you need a lot of time so it's always better to buy it and keep it.

I completely agree with everything in your post.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:28 PM, killamch89 said:

I have never actually gone out and rented a video game because, for me, I want to own that game for a long time.

I don't think that the sole purpose of renting a game is to finish it. I have rented a couple of games to see whether I like them or not (Believe it or not I first rented Skyrim and then purchased it). It is like an extended demo for me. But I agree, 95% of my games are bought from the start.

1 minute ago, iaminsensible said:

I don't think that the sole purpose of renting a game is to finish it. I have rented a couple of games to see whether I like them or not (Believe it or not I first rented Skyrim and then purchased it). It is like an extended demo for me. But I agree, 95% of my games are bought from the start.

Fair enough point.