Register Now
fantanoice

PS4 Doesn't Play CDs

While I was on holiday in Japan I picked up some CDs of some local bands. It was the first time I'd bought physical music in years. In any case, when I got home I went to play them in my PS4, only to learn they had dropped support for CDs. 

What the heck? The hardware should already be able to do it given basically every DVD / Blu-ray player can play them - including the PS3. Sounds to me like they locked it out using software to push people towards their digital music service. 

The whole experience was frustrating and I ended up needing to dig out my PS3 from storage just to listen to them. 

Are you surprised by this as well? What are your thoughts? 

Do you think it's a hardware thing or a software thing? Because it seems weird that they would try to stop the use of CDs because of the fact that their music service is just Spotify and it's free to use. It's not like they get that much benefit and I feel like CD's are such a small thing with people now that it seems silly they would block their use from a software perspective. If they did do that, why would they not block the use of DVDs as well to promote their streaming apps?

On 12/13/2018 at 1:56 PM, DarthHazard said:

Do you think it's a hardware thing or a software thing? Because it seems weird that they would try to stop the use of CDs because of the fact that their music service is just Spotify and it's free to use. It's not like they get that much benefit and I feel like CD's are such a small thing with people now that it seems silly they would block their use from a software perspective. If they did do that, why would they not block the use of DVDs as well to promote their streaming apps?

I'm not sure many people use audio CD's as often as say in the early 2000s and that is probably why they probably don't support it. I agree that it is ridiculous though and for the money they are charging for the console, that should be a given.

PS 5 won't be supporting CD either. And chances are there that they may start to support the USB 3 and also the Mac specific port so that it can be making use of any Mac specific hardware. So far that is my speculation on the specific set of the games and the content that they have there. I know that PS5 would take a lot of future hardware specific support in mind. 

That's some psycho shit. Every disc console should support music CD's. They're so simple to play that it's ridiculous to not do it. The only disc console that shouldn't be able to play a CD is the monstrosity known as the Game Cube. Nintendo thought people couldn't copy mini disc's, but were very wrong. Dumbasses.

As for people with physical disc's I have over $1500 worth of CD's, and still use them. I play them in my car all the time. I can't stand radio, especially since everything on there is just regurgitated dog vomit. I burn mixes a lot, but I still buy physical CD's too. The most recent one I bought was Disturbed's new album. And I'll keep buying CD's. The same goes for DVD's. Streaming services are great, but all too often they don't have the movies I want to see.