Register Now
Katri Marcell

Must Have Indies For Nintendo Switch

Must Have Indies For Nintendo Switch  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Must-Have Indie Title To Own On Nintendo Switch?

• Hollow Knight
    • Stardew Valley
    • Furi
    • The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
    • The Sexy Brutale
    • Thimbleweed Park
    • Shovel Knight
    • Celeste
    • Battle Chasers: Nightwar
    • Owlboy

Indie games are the best ones to play on the go. With Nintendo giving us access to possibly every indie title we could ever ask for, it's hard to choose among them. What would you choose as a must-have indie game on your Switch?

I'll go with Binding of Isaac. Replayability, low battery consumption, challenge and excellent performance make it a perfect match for me.

Oh, this is really hard. I really adore Stardew Valley and can easily get lost in it for hours on end. I've still not played Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight but I've been told how great those games are. So I'd have to go with Stardew Valley. BUT... I also think Battle Chef Brigade is a fantastic indie title. Like, really, it's so good. If people haven't tried it out then they should.

3 hours ago, Aimee Hart said:

Oh, this is really hard. I really adore Stardew Valley and can easily get lost in it for hours on end. I've still not played Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight but I've been told how great those games are. So I'd have to go with Stardew Valley. BUT... I also think Battle Chef Brigade is a fantastic indie title. Like, really, it's so good. If people haven't tried it out then they should.

I'll take up on your recommendation! It really looks interesting, should have added it too 😄

Good question. There are a few on this list that I haven't played tbh. Out of the ones I have played, I found Celeste and Furi to be a touch overrated (not a popular opinion, particularly the former, I know). Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight and The Binding of Isaac are all ace. My fave - out of the ones I've played - is Hollow Knight. It's a proper gem that one. I really wanna check out Battle Chasers at some point. It's supposed to be rad.

Out of the games on the list, I'd personally say Shovel Knight is my favorite. I have the 3DS version because of the 3D effect, but obviously it would be a great game on any console. Total masterpiece of retro game design and they're STILL coming out with free content updates!

I have a cousin that swears by Binding of Issac, and I've heard really great things about Celeste, Hollow Knight, and Stardew Valley as well.

Can I also make a suggestion? Golf Story is a wonderful little game exclusive to Switch. Golfing and RPG mechanics seems like an unusual combination, but it works so well. Golf Story is full of humor and charm, and it keeps you engaged longer than your typical sports game. If anybody played the Mario Golf games made by Camelot on the GBC or GBA, this game is highly reminiscent of that style.

On 7/11/2018 at 5:42 PM, DylanC said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Darkest Dungeon should be on this list imho. Definitely one of the most addictive indie titles I've played for a while.

Daamn, I knew that something was missing there! I can't believe I forgot that masterpiece 😄

1 minute ago, Katri Marcell said:

Daamn, I knew that something was missing there! I can't believe I forgot that masterpiece 😄

I forgive you! ;) Seriously though, there are so many awesome indies on Switch, it's really tough to keep track of all of 'em!

Just now, DylanC said:

I forgive you! ;) Seriously though, there are so many awesome indies on Switch, it's really tough to keep track of all of 'em!

Nintendo has said recently that they want to release at least 20 indies per week. That's huge! And as an indie lover, I'm glad to have picked the Switch as my first ever console 😛

Just now, Katri Marcell said:

Nintendo has said recently that they want to release at least 20 indies per week. That's huge! And as an indie lover, I'm glad to have picked the Switch as my first ever console 😛

Honestly, the thought of 20 indie games releasing every week on Switch kinda gives me anxiety, lol.

Too. Many GAMES. 

It's a good tactic from Ninty, though. I friggin' love great indie games. 

It does make me worry about the indie market though. Having indies on the Switch is, of course, great and I'm pleased for those who can get their indie fix from it. But I feel like this may actually just end up causing the market to have an indie overload, burying so many good indies before we can even get the chance to play them. But I might be just a pessimist, so I could be wrong. 😂

Edited by Aimee Hart

I think you're onto something. At the end of the day, we only have a finite amount of time/money. Hopefully, folks like us - who write about games - will be able to help spotlight lesser known indies and help bring them to a bigger audience. That's something I always relish: Introducing people to awesome games that they've probably never heard of before.