Register Now
9Online

What computer brand do you own?

On 10/3/2020 at 8:13 AM, ARx182 said:

I have an ARx182 PC! 😄

Jokes aside, I built my PC myself. It's much cheaper and gives you a greater sense of control, atleast in my opinion.

I'm planning to build a new gaming PC myself but I'm going full team Red this time round.

I considered building my own but in the end opted for a HP Omen out-the-box machine. Just added an extra 16gb ram to the standard machine. I don't think there is much of an advantage in building your own.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:28 AM, Zak said:

I considered building my own but in the end opted for a HP Omen out-the-box machine. Just added an extra 16gb ram to the standard machine. I don't think there is much of an advantage in building your own.

Actually there is, especially the cost. Also the warranties on pre-made machines is absolutely ridiculous and if you want to upgrade/fix your machine, it'll cost you  a lot more than doing it yourself.

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think advantage lies in ability to upgrade the graphics and RAM and storage as well. Which is something many brands restrict you to purposefully because they want to milk in on the current high prices of the RAM and graphics etc. 

That's a very valid point as well.

Another thing I noticed they purposefully give you low storage so that they can get your business after the sales for upgrade on storage. like who sells 250GB for Windows machine these days when 50 GB update happens for windows per year as is... 

When buying 'out the box' issues such as upgrades etc are obviously considered. With my machine there is no issue with upgrades. First thing I did was stick more RAM in. 

Also, on the subject of warranty, if something goes wrong I can send the box back for repair/replacement. I don't need a degree in computer science to diagnose and identify the specific component which is at fault.