Register Now
Rey

Marijuana

There are risks that come with Marijuana however medical use should be legalised. The drug should be available under prescription for people who will benefit medically. It shouldn't be sold to anyone else as it can be abused easily which has negative health side effects. 

12 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

There are risks that come with Marijuana however medical use should be legalised. The drug should be available under prescription for people who will benefit medically. It shouldn't be sold to anyone else as it can be abused easily which has negative health side effects. 

Although I agree to a certain extent, you can say that about most substances as well. There are prescribed drugs that have way worse side effects than anything Marijuana can remotely cause and yet it is interesting that most countries choose to ban Marijuana.

For all you that think marijuana should be regulated, how so? You talk as if it can be easily abused more than alcohol. Hypocrites!!! Should alcohol be regulated? That is abused way more and is highly addictive. It is bad for liver, bones, kidneys, can cause cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety, other mental issues. It causes violence, reckless driving, and destruction of family and social life. It drains money and ruins you if abused. Yet the only regulation is you must be 21. Marijuana is not nearly as bad. For those that think it's a gateway drug, wrong!!! Alcohol is. A drunk person is more likely to sample other drugs more than a person under the influence of marijuana. Marijuana is a political ploy to mass incarcerate certain demographics, while giving free reign to the demographics of alcohol abusers. 

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

For all you that think marijuana should be regulated, how so? You talk as if it can be easily abused more than alcohol. Hypocrites!!! Should alcohol be regulated? That is abused way more and is highly addictive. It is bad for liver, bones, kidneys, can cause cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety, other mental issues. It causes violence, reckless driving, and destruction of family and social life. It drains money and ruins you if abused. Yet the only regulation is you must be 21. Marijuana is not nearly as bad. For those that think it's a gateway drug, wrong!!! Alcohol is. A drunk person is more likely to sample other drugs more than a person under the influence of marijuana. Marijuana is a political ploy to mass incarcerate certain demographics, while giving free reign to the demographics of alcohol abusers. 

I'm quite ambivalent. Part of me agrees, whilst the other part doesn't.

One of the things about alcohol and why it's more accepted is its place in our culture and history. Man has been creating wines, beers, ciders and sprits for thousands of years. Like it or not, it's as much a part of our cultural heritage as music or art. Marijuana just isn't as embedded in our culture and more practical industry and trade. Marijuana also came much later and presented itself to a more cautious and consequence aware society. When abused, alcohol potentially causes greater detriment to one's health, that much is true, but it's not like Marijuana can't do the same when it's abused.

For a start, it's usually taken with tobacco, possibly the worst thing mankind has invented (OK, I say  invented, but the Tobacco plant is actually a product of nature, but you know what I mean) and, like alcohol, its use became engrained in our culture and society before people were aware of the consequences and nobody would dare try to outlaw it now. Comparing it to alcohol, it's far more detrimental to one's health and WAY more addictive. Even pure marijuana isn't exactly good for you, especially when smoked in, let's say "recreational" quantities. And sorry, but recreational marijuana is a gateway drug, but that is a very odd argument for you to make because that says nothing about the drug itself, more the tactics of the people who sell it and other narcotics. And buy your logic, that problem only gets worse if anything under legalization because of how you describe the perfectly legal alcohol as "the real gateway" drug. So that argument makes no sense and is actually detrimental to your point.

Marijuana depresses the senses, just like alcohol, and it's also a hallucinogenic. It is just as, if not more dangerous to drive or operate machinery while under its influence than alcohol, so the drink-driving thing is another very odd, nonsensical argument to make that doesn't help you. People who are high are also  more likely to get behind the wheel than someone who's had a drink.

I've been around long term smokers of marijuana and lifelong drinkers, and whilst neither one is good, I would say on my experience marijuana definitely affects the mind in a way that is more potent than alcohol. The long term effects of marijuana need more research before it can be legalized IMO.

The big ace Marijuana has up its sleeve is, of course, it's medicinal properties, and I don't see what anyone would have against Marijuana on prescription. Drugs on prescription are dosage controlled to limit the ricks of addiction and side effects and are only offered to people that need them, so that's all good. I'm not fully versed on what those medicinal properties are, but I do know doctors want medicinal marijuana as an alternative to morphine, another medicinal drug that uses the same active ingredient as a narcotic (in this case heroin) and is actually quite nasty. So, I'm 150% on board with that.

What I find interesting here is the fact you don't bring marijuana's medicinal properties up, and when others have said that it should be available through regulated, medicinal procedure, you call them "hypocrites" then go on about alcohol, something that isn't a medicine. The people were obviously refering to marijuana being regulated and and controlled as a medicine, so why ignore then call them hypocrites for not demanding regulations to alcohol? Well, I'll tell you why, because your selfish and twisting what people have said to fit your own self-centred argument.

You're not interested in having marijuana legalized AND regulated so it can be used as a medicine, you don't care about the people who could benefit from that. You just want marijuana legalized as a recreational drug for your own sake, and that's why you keep brining up alcohol because alcohol plays the role in society that you want marijuana to play. Let me make it clear, I have no problem with you smoking marijuana and getting high, that's perfectly fine. Face facts though, legalization is not going to happen for that reason and it shouldn't happen according to your own logic. According to you, and I'm not saying you're wrong, alcohol is bad and a detriment to society, but what you're proposing here is a society with another "alcohol" in it, and yet try to claim that's better? Think about that then ask yourself who's the hypocrite here.

If everyone who drank excessively started smoking marijuana instead, they may indeed be better for it, but that as a case to legalize marijuana only makes sense if marijuana were to replace alcohol, and that's not going to happen. And trust me, the powers that be would never listen to the case at all if it comes from a place as self-centred as you're presenting it from. There's a case for legalization that I'm totally on board with that gets held back when people say stuff like this, and that's why I find it so annoying.

Edited by Shagger

On 9/20/2020 at 10:45 AM, Shagger said:

One of the things about alcohol and why it's more accepted is its place in our culture and history

That shouldn't give alcohol a free pass. There are many things once was part of our culture that was acceptable that isn't now. 

When abused, alcohol potentially causes greater detriment to one's health, that much is true, but it's not like Marijuana can't do the same when it's abused.

Alcohol is far more addictive, therefore more likely to be abused. 

Marijuana depresses the senses, just like alcohol, and it's also a hallucinogenic. It is just as, if not more dangerous to drive or operate machinery while under its influence than alcohol, so the drink-driving thing is another very odd, nonsensical argument to make that doesn't help you. People who are high are also  more likely to get behind the wheel than someone who's had a drink.

I completely disagree there. Both depresses the senses, but with alcohol people are way more likely to get behind the wheel. Alcohol has an 'energized' period. In that period is when a person loses inhibition and more likely to take off somewhere behind the wheel. Marijuana does not have that affect. 

I've been around long term smokers of marijuana and lifelong drinkers, and whilst neither one is good, I would say on my experience marijuana definitely affects the mind in a way that is more potent than alcohol. The long term effects of marijuana need more research before it can be legalized IMO.

I highly doubt that marijuana's long term effects are as bad. Have you ever talked to a life long alcoholic? Their lives have been completely ruined in every possible way. They have lost everything from family to friends, to career, and even imprisonment due to the violent affects of alcohol. Marijuana doe NOT have those effects. 

What I find interesting here is the fact you don't bring marijuana's medicinal properties up, and when others have said that it should be available through regulated, medicinal procedure, you call them "hypocrites" then go on about alcohol, something that isn't a medicine. The people were obviously refering to marijuana being regulated and and controlled as a medicine, so why ignore then call them hypocrites for not demanding regulations to alcohol? Well, I'll tell you why, because your selfish and twisting what people have said to fit your own self-centred argument.

Obviously anything used as medicine should be regulated. The original post was about if marijuana should be legal or not and others say it's easily abused...and yes that is hypocritical while highly abusive alcohol is legal. And alcohol has health benefits to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure in small amounts. Maybe that should be medically regulated and made illegal for recreational use. So yes, that is hypocritical. 

You're not interested in having marijuana legalized AND regulated so it can be used as a medicine, you don't care about the people who could benefit from that. You just want marijuana legalized as a recreational drug for your own sake, and that's why you keep brining up alcohol because alcohol plays the role in society that you want marijuana to play. Let me make it clear, I have no problem with you smoking marijuana and getting high, that's perfectly fine. Face facts though, legalization is not going to happen for that reason and it shouldn't happen according to your own logic. According to you, and I'm not saying you're wrong, alcohol is bad and a detriment to society, but what you're proposing here is a society with another "alcohol" in it, and yet try to claim that's better? Think about that then ask yourself who's the hypocrite here.

First off, I did say marijuana is better than alcohol. But you accused me of not being interested in marijuana being used as medicine. You accuse me of wanting a society with another 'alcohol'. I know alcohol will never be illegal, but with all the negative effects of alcohol, makes it pretty hypocritical to not have a less danger to society such as marijuana to be legal as well. I agree in more potent doses marijuana should be regulated as medicine. But if such a dose for medical properties can be achieved through a couple puffs, then a prescription is not necessary. Because legalizing it only for prescription sounds like a ploy for pharma and the government to bank off of its properties. We don't know the dosage for medical benefits, but if it is attainable through recreational use and not an extract form or injection form, then pharma can fuck off.  

Edited by Shagger

Marijuana depresses the senses, just like alcohol, and it's also a hallucinogenicIt is just as, if not more dangerous to drive or operate machinery while under its influence than alcohol, so the drink-driving thing is another very odd, nonsensical argument to make that doesn't help you. People who are high are also more likely to get behind the wheel than someone who's had a drink.

Where, exactly, did you hear this? I've smoked marijuana on and off for more than 20 years and never once was it hallucinogenic. Multiple different strains from multiple growers. Some that won the cannabis cup. Never a hallucination once.

I currently have a medical marijuana card, and use it for pain due to the muscular dystrophy. But there are several states that have legalized it not only for medical use, but also recreational use. Colorado is one. I'm personally legalized to have up to 4 ounces in my possession at any given time.

I do have to agree with this one. Marijuana is extremely dangerous if someone gets behind the controls of any kind of machinery. Yes that includes their personal vehicle. While a buzz or tipsy on alcohol isn't good, being stoned is often worse than drunk. Mainly because marijuana often makes a person sleepy enough that they fall asleep behind the wheel. Then people end up dead, and someone ends up in prison.

Look, I'm not trying to come down on anyone. I don't care what your drug of choice is. Grass, alcohol, rock, blow, angel dust, junk, krok, or anything else. It makes no difference to me. But just don't think for a second that you can operate anything while under the influence.

Comparing it to alcohol, it's far more detrimental to one's health and WAY more addictive.

In all reality, marijuana has no narcotic properties. THC isn't narcotic like say, nicotine or alcohol. That's why most don't sit around and burn one all day the way cigarette smokers and drinkers do.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I highly doubt that marijuana's long term effects are as bad. Have you ever talked to a life long alcoholic? Their lives have been completely ruined in every possible way. They have lost everything from family to friends, to career, and even imprisonment due to the violent affects of alcohol. Marijuana doe NOT have those effects.

As for marijuana not having those effects, that makes me think that YOU are the one that has never been around a pot head. While people see it as something that's just going to mellow you out, that's only the way Hollywood portrays it. There's a lot more to the market than that.

Edited by Shagger

On 9/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

If you genuinely believe that Marijuana does not (or maybe more specifically cannot) get people addicted, drawn to criminal activity and subsequent personal and financial ruin then you are ignorant my friend.

There are plenty of people (and I'm pushing medical use to one side here) that regularly smoke weed, drink or even do harder drugs and manage to live relatively normal lives.  However, just because the consequences of using these substances outside of moderation to the point of it becoming abuse aren't happening to some does not mean they aren't happening and you have no right to ignore them.  The real truth is that the ideal world is one where none of these substances exist to be abused because once you're that far gone the consequences are the same, regardless of what the fix is.

I’m not gonna bother to weigh in on whether Cannabis should be legal or not because when you look at places where it is and places where there are problems either way.  I’ve seen with this debate multiple times that each side of the argument is so fixated on their own cherry picked facts that it constantly goes nowhere.

Edited by Shagger

It should absolutely be legal, it's not more harmful than alcohol.

Although I'm not qualified to address its addictive properties as I simply cannot get addicted to anything. I like to drink heavy and smoke during parties, but then after the party is over I Can go for months without touching either.  There was also a period of my life when I smoked marijuana almost daily for 3 months, and still when I Rotated back to the world I didn't even think about having one.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:51 PM, m76 said:

It should absolutely be legal, it's not more harmful than alcohol.

Although I'm not qualified to address its addictive properties as I simply cannot get addicted to anything. I like to drink heavy and smoke during parties, but then after the party is over I Can go for months without touching either.  There was also a period of my life when I smoked marijuana almost daily for 3 months, and still when I Rotated back to the world I didn't even think about having one.

Same here. I used to smoke Marijuana in the 9th grade up until the 11th grade and one day I just stopped because I realized it wasn't really helping me. I myself can't get addicted to anything either.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Same here. I used to smoke Marijuana in the 9th grade up until the 11th grade and one day I just stopped because I realized it wasn't really helping me. I myself can't get addicted to anything either.

I did it while working in Belgium, although it wasn't yet legalized there then, but still was easy to get next door. I didn't do it to help, it was just for unwinding daily after having to work 7 days a week for months (LOL, tell that to those who think crunch only exists in game development)

Marijuana is highly destructive more than alcohol. I know this because I relate with some people who abuse these two substances. It's effect has not really been fully understood. It has to be totally banned in my opinion because the harm surpasses the benefits.